Solo suggestions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hot Lips, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Hot Lips

Hot Lips Member

Help!! Am struggling to pick a solo (with piano not band) for competition next month and the entry date is ever looming closer. Am a sop player and cant find anything suitable to play, either too high or needs loads of piano part transposing. Finding stuff for cornet was loads easier!!

Anybody got any suggestions? Wont be going at this rate?

2. Di

Di Active Member

What sort of a contest is it? Slow melody, air varie or any?

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Capriccio by Philip Sparke... fantastic Sop solo.

4. Di

Di Active Member

Could try Rhapsody for Eb Soprano, Robert Eaves. Not to difficult, especially if rehearsal time with the piano is going to be limited.

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

For a slow melody, you might like to consider The Isle of Mull by Kenneth Downie.

You might also investigate the Gramercy Solo Album which is a collection of solos for any valved instrument by Peter Graham. The link is to the Eb version.

There are also some soprano cornet solos in Eb Instrument Solos Album. For example, High Fidelity and The Queen of the Night's Aria.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. Hot Lips

Hot Lips Member

Thanks, Air Varie type pieces, but want to do something a bit different to my usual Carnival of Venice! Thanks

8. Hi Hot Lips

For an Air Varie there's Iona, Jenny Jones or Silver threads Amongst the Gold.

They're all horn or sop solos in the Air Varie tradition and not too taxing but can sound excellent if played well. I'm sure you'll be able find them with piano accompanyment fairly easily. I certainly have the first two if you can't...

Hope this helps

9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

....welsh theme... ;)

10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Alreet gal,

Silver threads is a winner everytime. Will go down well with the brass traditionalists as well.

What about queen of the night ;) lol

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    needs loads of piano
    competition
    band
    month
    Finding stuff
  12. skimbleshanks

skimbleshanks Member

I'll second Vickitorious on Variations on a Welsh Theme by Peter Kneale. Gorgeous 3rd variation that beats that concerto d'orange juice thingy (well IHO). Rhythmic finish, but ends on top B (too high?) with an alternative finish on a top G.

Can anyone play Capriccio by Philip Sparke? I looked at it for Grade 7 horn, couldn't play it and went straight on to Grade 8 instead!

Let us know how you get on...

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Capriccio is technically harder than variations on a welsh theme (in my opinion!)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The Debutante (Herbert Clarke) is a good showcase for a capable soprano player in my opinion!

15. gaz

gaz New Member

anna Karenina was written for sop

16. kiwisop

kiwisop Account Suspended

capriccio (phillip sparke) would be a good choice and isnt that difficult.Dont know about a piano part though