Solo recommendations please? Music festival

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by white-light, Dec 10, 2010.

1. white-light

white-light New Member

Hello All! I am new here so please be gentle :) I hope I have posted this in the right section, but please forgive me if it is wrong and move to somewhere relevant.

Its been a few years since I have entered a solo/duet contest in a music festival. There is one I would like to enter soon, but my question is to pick your brains-your superb knowledge :biggrin:

Have you got any suggestions of what solos I can play please - tenor horn with piano accomplimant? I am into old-ish music I guess, I recently randomly found 'Romance, by Camille saint-saens' which I quite liked. With regards to level of music, not too hard and not too easy...not too vague am I! Sorry.

Also thinking of doing a sop/tenor horn duet (if this isn't too weird!) so recommendations for this also very much appreciated.

Thank you
  2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

World of Brass has had at least 2 Eb solo books with piano accmt. I own a copy of both. they have a varied index of solo's from basic to advanced. send a PM to world of brass and see if they are still available. there are duets in at least one of the books.
  3. white-light

white-light New Member

Ahh lovely thanks, I will look into that. Are they nice solos and duets though? I guess there must be something in there I would like as you say they are varied, so thank you for that. There is so much around that doesn't sound nice and that is done too often, in my opinion of course.
  4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

the books are marketed for Eb instruments. there are some that are EEb bass and some that are tenor horn / Sop.
    I have played a few tenor horn solo's on my EEb. and they have sounded good.
    I don't have the books to hand or I would type out a list of what is in them.
    I have played 'Swiss Melodies' and 'Shepherd of Israel' Both I guess would be in an older style but I don't think they get a lot of exposure in concerts. " Swiss Melodies" has a nice cadenza in it which played well you can visualise the echo of a swiss alpine horn.
    all down to taste I guess.
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I Should say welcome to TMP. there is a section where new members can leave a message and other members leave a message of welcome. But, Welcome to TMP.
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

7. bigsound

bigsound Member

I think Owen Farr has a good solo book out published by Prima Vista Musik and Kirklees have great solo books.
  8. white-light

white-light New Member

Thank you all, you have given me a lot to look at so I appreciate this. I will take time to look at it all and let you know what I think! I am very excited :biggrin:
  9. Active Member

Actually, Prima Vista Musikk have published some solos individually in the Owen Farr Solo Series, they aren't collected in one book.

The sheet music section of the World of Brass website has been revamped in recent months so solos for tenor horn with piano accompaniment can easily be viewed here;
  10. white-light

white-light New Member

Thank you for the link to the music - what annoys me though is you can't hear any of the music! I'm not going to buy stuff I can't hear, or know what it sounds like. Why can't web sites put clips up of music, or even an example of some of the sheet music? I have probably missed something, knowing me, where you can actually listen to the music, so please ignore me if this is the case (and let me know where I can hear it please :wink:) thank you
  11. Active Member

12. white-light

white-light New Member

I guess its a bit like buying a dress without seeing a picture of it :biggrin: thank you, will check out those cds and hope to have a listen to some music..
  13. Active Member

In my opinion, anyone who is serious about playing tenor horn solos should listen to at least one, preferably both, of the aforementioned CDs.
  14. white-light

white-light New Member

Well I wouldn't say I'm a serious player like that, its more of a hobby, I have played for years, play in a local band and just like to enjoy myself. BUT I do like the sound of those CDs, so you never know! :)