Solo/Quartet Contests in the South

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lisa, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

Our junior band conductor wants to enter our junior band members into more solo and quartet contests. I was wondering if anyone knows of such contests which take place around our area?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Solo/Quartet Contests
    South
    Quartet Contests
    junior band members
    junior band conductor
  3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Isnt there one at Wincanton?

4. Lisa

Lisa Member

There used to be. Last year I think it was cancelled due to lack of entries? I'm not sure whether it is running this year though...

5. Tom-King

hmmm...
    I've done a few in your sort of area (bath) because my gran lives in bradford-on-avon so I can stay there...

Remember there was one I played at in Corsham a couple of years ago... do you know if that ones still going?

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

If you fancy a day out, (it's slightly out of your area!) then the Oxford Brass Festival is a great day - there are loads of youngsters (and adults!) take part but we are always delighted to see even more! It takes place on May 21 this year. If you want further info, please feel free to pm me.

7. Tom-King

Isnt that the same day as the Weston contest though?
    Then again - if your band arent playing at Weston there shouldnt be a problem :p

8. Lisa

Lisa Member

Yes, that's the same day as Weston and our band are playing there. The Oxford Brass Festival sounds interesting though so if you were able to send me some information to pass on to our junior band for next year maybe, that would be cool. :tup

Tom, the Corsham contest is still going and it's on Sat 7th October.:)

9. Tom-King

May go along - not sure... helpful?

10. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

There's also a weston solo & ensembles competition aswell. Last year it was the week after the weston brass band contest.

11. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Hi Chris
    Do you know how to enter and if the closing date has already been?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Solo/Quartet Contests
    South
    Quartet Contests
    junior band members
    junior band conductor
  13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Give me till the morning and i'll find the exact date and i'll ring the person who will have the details and i'll try and find out for you :biggrin:

14. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Isn't there one at Bidefod in June?

15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Hi chris
    Any luck with this?

16. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Fingers crossed there will be a new solo, duet, quartet and ensemble (min of 5 players) contest on Sunday 16 July 2006 in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. Can't tell you much more than that just yet as we are working flat out to pull this off...... PM me if you want more info and a schedule

Kristyann

17. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Yes. Bideford is always the 2nd Saturday in June. This year its the 10th - day after Whit Friday. Gillingham used to always be there!

18. Lisa

Lisa Member

We'll be back there again I'm sure - we've just been on a long holiday! ;)
    Maybe not this year as it clashes with something else the band are already doing...but maybe next year!! :)

19. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I can confirm that schedules for the 1st Annual ROYAL FOREST OF DEAN Solo, Duet, Quartet and ensemble contest, which will take place in July, will be available from Wednesday 10th May. Please PM me for more details.

20. The_Eighth_Dwarf

The_Eighth_Dwarf New Member

Is Portishead solo and ensamble competition running this year?? as you fail to mention it Chris....now which band are you with???!!!

21. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I'm with portishead nick!! :tongue: But really i haven't the foggeist what competition you are on about!!!??? am i being dumb!!?? :confused:

22. The_Eighth_Dwarf

The_Eighth_Dwarf New Member

Never mind Chris I'll just point Jeremy in this general direction and he can shed some light on it.