Solo Performance

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welshraz, Jun 28, 2006.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

Ok, next Friday I will be competing at a solo competition in Glasgow. I have my pieces, I have an outfit, the hotel and flights are booked, and I am freaking out! I am already nervous and I still have 9 days to go!

So here's the thing, I would like some pointers on how to control the nerves. I don't want to curb them completely, I just want to control then rather than them control me!
  2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Can't help you before the event, but during it, obvious as it sounds, deep slow breaths helps as breathing out slows the heart rate...Also, when you are playing, don't think about the notes, think about your expression, and play to the people at the back of the auditorium!
  3. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

Kalms or Quiet Life (herbal remedies) are specially designed for periods of stress or anxiety! theyre great (tho they do take a few days to get going i find) especially helpful if you find you are not sleepin well at night.
  4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Whats the competition by the way?

Mite head up the road and see it if I can get away!
  5. welshraz

welshraz Member

It's a competition to do with the DWP, which is who I work for. Apparently it's quite a big thing. I have never been before but I'm looking foward to it. I had a run through with a pianist yesterday and our tempoary conductor on Tuesday, and both were very complementary, which has put me at ease a little. I'm representing Wales at the contest. Only one week to go!!!!!
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Go for it Razzy... what piece did you eventually decide on playing? I wish you all the very best in the competition.

Who else is entering do you know?
  7. crosskeysband

crosskeysband New Member

stand with legs slightly apart, try not to look at the audience,control you breathing and be confident and cocky. If you know the piece well there shouldnt be any problem with delivering the notes , add the expression and go for it
  8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I had a conductor that said if you were nervous you weren't concentrating enough! Not sure how well that would work tho.

Isn't rescue remedy meant to be good for nerves? and isn't it herbal? I dont actually know much about it ( can you tell?!) but my friend used to take it i think before music festivals. she always seemed to win too!
  9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Sounds stupid, but as soon as you get on stage you'll be fine! :)

You spend the days before hand worrying about it, then you get on stage... whats the worst that can happen? You might split a note? :eek: Gosh..!...:rolleyes:

"It's 1 note in a million if you do! Its not a big deal, everyone splits them. We wouldn't be normal if we didn't!" - Thats what I'm always been told by my teacher! And its very true :)

When you're stood on stage you'll just settle into it and when you start playing it'll all just come to you.... :biggrin:

Enjoy it! :biggrin:
  10. welshraz

welshraz Member

Thanks everyone, keep your suggestions coming! I just an email to say that I am the second to perform on the day so it will be an early start for me. I am nervous and I hate it. I know I can nail the pieces (Demelza and On With The Motley), and I always hate the thought that I didn't perform as well as I could because I let nerves get the better of me. I was led in bed last night running through the pieces in my head, going through the fingering of the runs in On With The Motley.
  11. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Rescue Remedy is an herbal concoction that contains 27% alcohol. It comes in either a 10 or 20 mL bottle, with an eyedropper. The directions say to place 3-4 drops in a small glass of water and to "repeat as necessary".

While Rescue Remedy by itself has less alcohol in it, by volume, than whiskey, it's the "repeat as necessary" part that bothers me a little bit.

The answer to your question is yes. It is supposed to have a calming effect on the person taking the product.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Please note: the discussion on beta-blockers has been removed pending further consideration by the team, after which it may be posted as a separate thread. Feel free to continue to offer other suggestions as to how to cope with nerves.

PB. Mod
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We had an interesting debate about controlling performance nerves here a few months ago, there might be a post or two in there which will help provide an answer. Also this thread has some informed interesting and informed comments on the use of Beta-Blockers to control nerves:

The new thread containing the posts that Peter has split out from this thread can be found here:
  14. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

So in essence its madicienal alcohol?! Like i said, never taken it but if its alcohol i guess i see thats why it would act as a calming method!
  15. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

It sounds weird but just say to yourself why are you nervous dont be so stupid. im not crazy it works, i always calm down when i think it (or someone tells it to me).
    Also if you really hate some one whos mean to you or something, when your up there just think ha im amazing and your not, i can prove you wrong. thats what i do !
  16. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

It's not being represented as medicinal alcohol at all. It contains a number of extracts from flowers which, upon ingestion, are supposed to calm one down.

The alcohol is just a vehicle to extract the "stuff" from the flowers.

Here's a link on Rescue Remedy. I work with a person who has a dog. The dog is absolutely terrified of thunder, so the vet prescribed a dose of RR for the dog. When I asked how it went after the latest storm, she remarked it worked like a charm. The dog was as cool as a cucumber.

Note: I have NO commercial interest whatsoever in RR.
  17. welshraz

welshraz Member

Hey guys and gals!

Just a quick note to let you know that I didn't win on Friday but I played really well and got a really good adjudication, including the comment that I was a really confident live performer. I managed to control my nerves and everything went really well. Thank you all for your suggestions etc. and I will be back online when I get back from Newcastle on Thursday.