Solo Cornet required - Glossop Old Band

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by strongbow, Jan 17, 2012.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

Glossop Old Band is currently graded as a Championship section band but are a non-contesting band due to shortage of players. We currently have 14 brass players and 3 percussionists which form a well balanced group ;) and perform regularly in the Bandroom and other venues in the local area.

We are looking for an experienced cornet player to join the solo cornet rank to play either ‘bumper up’ or principle cornet. You wouldn’t need to register with the band and if required could play at contests with other bands but we would need commitment to one rehearsal a week and the concerts the band has booked.

The band rehearse once a week on a Tuesday evenings 8.15 to 10.00pm

Applications should be sent to or please call Janet Lewis on 07887 997374 for an informal chat. or find us on facebook.
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Isn't this just a sad sign of the banding times? A top section band with only 14 players.
    Young talented players used to be queueing to play in the Championship Section. (Unfortunately sometimes to the detriment of the lower section bands that had invested in their training.)
    I suppose there are plenty of reasons for this situation.
    It's a different world, and young folk have different priorities, and, of course, full time banding is a time consuming lifestyle committment.
    I don't see the "Movement" crumbling to dust, but I reckon the whole thing will suffer downsizing; eventually necessitating some rejigging of the basic MO.
    Personally I think that this might be no bad thing as it could result in a smaller more vibrant and better focussed activity the better to serve its members.

- Mr Wilx
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Gob smacked!!!

Very very sad to hear, especially for a band in an area where I from.

Good luck in your quest from an Ex Burbage player
  4. strongbow

strongbow Member

Thanks to you both for your comments. We are struggling without young players coming through and I know it's a problem for the local School as well. We have tried several times to start a youth band but it always fizzles out as they have other hobbies to do which seem more exciting than brass bands. We are enjoying ourselves as a small group and are really just missing another solo cornet player to help out on the front row.
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I wish you all good luck with your music making, after all, that's the bottom line of what it's all about.
    Keep the faith !

- Mr Wilx