Solo Contest...Help!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welshraz, Apr 5, 2006.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

I have been picked to represent Wales in this Solo competition where I work. It's no big thing, but I need to put together a 10 minute programme, with no more than 3 pieces in it. I will be playing soprano, and I need some ideas of what to put in. It's been a fair while since I did this kind of thing. Any help, ideas or well wishes are greatly appreciated!

2. Daisy Chain

Daisy Chain New Member

I love Rhapsody for Eb Soprano Cornet - would fill a good bit of your time slot too!! Can't remember who it's by off the top of my head but I'm sure someone will help me out smartish...

3. englishgill

englishgill Member

Its by Robert Eaves (who I'm informed is actually Edward Gregson)

4. Ellie

Ellie Member

Acker bilks stranger on the shore is a beautiful sop solo but can not remember the arranger

5. welshraz

welshraz Member

Oooooo I have Rhapsody somewhere. I will have to dig it out. Any ideas if there is a recording out there? It always helps to hear a good player doing it before I destroy it!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I know it's on horn rather than soprano, but Sheona White plays it on her "Voice of the tenor horn" cd.

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sounds far better on Horn! :p

8. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

You would say that^

9. Di

Di Active Member

Rhapsody's just over 6 minutes. Just time enough to squeeze in a nice slow melody too. Something to show off a bit of "sound". :)

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Peter Roberts recorded it on this CD ... http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24595.html

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Solo
    Solo Contest
    Wales
    ideas
    kind of thing
  12. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I just entered a solo competition on cornet with Rhapsody for Sop, Escapade and By the time I get to phoenix that filled my recital time. They are good technically and good to listen to for the audience while showing a range of styles.

13. Fendall

Fendall Member

Phew, three pieces in ten minutes! I'd go for a Bach medley, Air on the G String (4.5 minutes), Gavotte (1.5), Bourrees (2.5), Badinerie maybe? (2) - nice short pieces!

Maybe a couple of verses of a nice hymn?

Trumpet Voluntary, Trumpet Tune? Other 'wedding' staples?

You could look at your pianists repertoire and design it around pieces they have.

Is there any 3 movement piece lasting 10 minutes, or does it need to be three separate compositions?

14. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Variations on a Welsh Theme ??