Sokol Fanfare - Janacek

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Anyone know of any good BB arrangements of the Sokol Fanfare from Sinfonietta by Janacek?

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

There's a good one by Philip Sparke and I'm sure there others; I've played a version arranged by Nigel Clarke.

3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Philip Sparke has done one.

PS Beat me to it, Dave
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Sokol Fanfare

The complete Janaczek " Sinfionetta " has been arranged for Band , published by Warwick Music By the Bass Trombonist of the CBSO( Alan Green I think ), I know I played the arrangement at the Royal Academy on one of my Depping Jobs with band and the extra brass were Students at the R.A.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Re: Sokol Fanfare

• Alwyn
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Alwyn Green

that is the man.....memory is not what is used to be
  7. davidsait

davidsait Member

8. Phil Sparke's one goes hard
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Que? I suppose it does if you left it in the freezer long enough.....

By the way, thanks folks, for all your help!
  10. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Fairey's recorded it on their Carnival recording some years ago. I'm sure it was the Philip Sparke arrangement. It was on the 210 label and I'm sure no longer available. I have a copy if you're interested in hearing it.
  11. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes, I have done one. It's available from R Smith and Co
  12. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

There is also an arrangement by me available from JAGRINS - possibly not as difficult as Philip Sparke's?!? Played by Besses o'th Barn Band at Brass In Concert in 2001, and by The Band of the Royal Engineers.

Gavin Pritchard
    JAGRINS Music Publications -
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

Sheffield Symphony Orchestra will be performing Sinfionetta at a concert in June. Currently we are cobbling together the brass ensemble, I'm learning Baritone for one of the Bass Trumpet parts, we've got all the trumpeters, but could do with an additional Baritone (Bass Trumpet) and a couple of Euphs, some potentials lined up but, not definites yet.

If there is anyone out there who would be interested in playing, you need to be of a high standard and have some sort of orchestral background or understanding in order to make sure we get the "right" sound, ie not necessarily a traditional brass band sound, then please pm me. The orchestra rehearses in sheffield every weds night, but the ensemble will probably only be needed for a few rehearsals.

Many thanks in advance!
  14. timbloke

timbloke Member

incidently the date is the 19th June. not had much uptake yet though!!
  15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Wrong part of the country! Make sure whoever's playing Trombone IV is supplied with a set of bellows...
  16. Re: Sokol Fanfare

NYBBW played the Sinfonietta the "Brass Odyssey 2001" (cheese) & the sokol fanfare was played by RAM students then.

It's lush.
  17. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Cambridge Uni Brass ensemble did a concert in Kings College Chapel last night and they opened with the Sokol fanfare. Sounded really good in Kings because its got a great acoustic.