Softs Cases

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nuke, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

After being at pontins this weekend i realised two things. 1) people on tmp ARE as mad in real life and 2) lugging round the block of concrete that contains my trombone is no fun. so ive decided that i should get me mum to buy me something useful this year like a gig bag for me trombone (i know socks are practical but not again).
    Anyone know where to start looking prices or have any recomendations on makes or ones that they use. and would recomend.

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I think soft cases are a false economy. Certainly for Tubas anyway.

If you're in a position where you might want a lighter case, i.e. going on public transport, then the chances of getting a whack on your instrument increase greatly.

If you're going to put it in the boot of a car, then I think it needs to be a hard case anyway.

Lastly, you need to be absolutely sure your insurance policy does not exclude the use of soft cases.

My opinion - others may disagree.

Will

3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

^ is correct

You certainly want to use a hard case for any traveling you might do. I've seen some good trombones ruined by a slight slide bend while being transported in a gig bag.

4. Fridge

Fridge Member

If your going to get a gig bag, purchase one made by GIG, they make awseome cases and my previous trombone never ever got dented whilst inside it. OK, you cant put them in the boot of the bus, but they only take up a seat onboard. And they can hold music, mutes, uniforms, stands, just aobut everything. Have a look on ebay, there's normally one on sale there and you can pick it up for about £50 - £60.

Fridge

5. skweeky

skweeky Member

Bach do nice gig bags, not too dear either. As for the soft case idea, its normally the larger instruments that have problems with protection ;) I recomend a gig bag but if you are loading up a coach etc then its a VERY good idea to put your instrument in its hard case and take the gig bag aswel for when you get off the coach

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I love my gig bag... and my trombone's always been fine in boots in it, it's covered in padding! Look for them on ebay, there's usually a few going cheap...

7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Ive found this company's website that sell instruments, percussion, gigbags and mutes etc, http://www.brassbusiness.com, based in Switzerland I think. Was looking for a tuba gigbag thats like a rucksack type thing, (seen the Italian band at Euros with them!) Havent bought one yet, but they look not too bad and am still thinking about it. Looks like they've a v good selection of bags for all instruments.

Slightly off topic, but had quick price comparison of their instruments (based on webpage price lists), think they're not too bad, tho not sure about other instruments, just looked at tubas.

Courtois tubas, EEb: £1400 cheaper and BBb: £1000 cheaper than here in UK, :shock: roughly but don't quote me on that!! ;)