So you think you know Arban...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Dec 20, 2014.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Arban Extract.jpg
    I've been playing Arban's No.10 study for years - but just the other day I realised I've not been playing what's written.
    The arrowed note ought to be an F# but until I spotted my error I've always played an F natural.
    F# does sound a bit spicier than F natural, but that's probably because I'm so used to hearing F natural.

So the question is - should the arrowed note be an F sharp or an F natural?
  2. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

In the absence of an errata - F# - because an accidental stays through the bar UNLESS its cancelled out by another accidential (ie to make it back to a natural, a double sharp, or even a flat (or double flat)
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Melodically, it's got to be an F natural. Earlier in the bar it's part of that semitone-below-Eb-maj-arpeggio figure, but it doesn't have that function at the end of the bar. Compare with the semi run at the end of the previous bar, which it melodically mirrors - a straight scale after the raised note to lead in to it.

Your instincts were right, I pretty confidently assert. It was very easy for ye olde typesetters to miss this kind of thing in the days before Sibelius playback.
  4. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

As the f# has not been naturalised it still us a F#. Also the run up is a G minor harmonic scale, but saying that, I've got the conservatoire edition and... image.jpg
  5. BrianT

BrianT Member

Looking hard at my excerpt, I have a possible explanation for what happened. I think the typesetter knew he had to insert one natural sign into the final run of six semiquavers, but mistakenly naturalised the A (which wasn't required) instead of the F.

How do music examiners treat this sort of thing? You never get the chance to verbally justify a rendering which differs from the printed version, especially when no Edition is specified in the syllabus. As we've seen my ancient edition differs from the conservatoire edition.
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I accompanied an ATCL recital at Trinity College this morning. The examiner spent most of the playing time either sitting back and watching the examinee or making notes; very little time looking at the scores. Either she knew the music supremely well or she didn't consider slavish score adherence to be anywhere near the most important aspect that she was examining.

We get caught up too much in the detail sometimes.
  7. euphojim

euphojim Member

Well spotted Brian - I had never noticed that one.

I shall stick with the F natural, which I am sure is what Mr Arban intended (and you can't teach an old dog new tricks).