So who are the Liverpool fans on this forum, then?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

(Oops! :))
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

oops indeed!!!!

a happy bluenose!
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well RAFA as done us no good with this RESULT.

Fair enough you have got to give players a chance, but i think last night he took a bit of a risk, he cant do that all the time.
    We need a good goalkeeper as DUDEK BIG MISTAKE on Saturday was just not good enough.
    Well i have put my hand up and have not come on here defending the team i support.
    There as been a improvement in general but more consitent performances are needed if LIVERPOOL want to compete with the likes of CHELSEA & ARSENAL.
  4. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Liverpool Fan here and not ashamed to admit it!

While I'm disappointed we lost to Burnley last night (well who wouldn't be!(sorry Burnley no offence!)), I think it's good for the future of the club that Rafa is playing the younger players in these type of games. They should all now feel alot more confident in their ability after playing in the Carling & F.A. Cup games, after all, they've beaten the likes of Spurs, Middlesbrough, Millwall & Watford along the way, which is no easy task for a bunch of kids!
    In my opinion, it can only be good for the future of Liverpool Football Club that these younger players now have a lot more first team experience.
    There's also the fact that if they don't make it in to our first team squad on a regular basis, their value may well have increased after be put in the 'shop window'

I'm very confident in Rafael Benitez's ability to get Liverpool Football Club back to the top, I think he'll just need a couple of seasons to get us there.

And Super Sop......enjoy it while it lasts bitter bluenose, cos it won't last long! ;) :D

You'll Never Walk Alone. ;)

IYOUNG Member

While I partially agree with the above for a team such as Liverpool I just don't get it. Lets be honest here:-

1. Ok a likely visit to Cardiff in the Carling Cup (but not gauranteed) but a likely defeat against either Chelsea or Man Utd.
    2. 6th in the League( correct me if i'm wrong) with I suppose a fair chance in the battle for 4th
    3. I suspect not much further progress in the Champions League as the weakest remaining team left.

Is this what this once great club has come to?

Surely the glory of an FA cup win must be high on the agenda

Trophies and success is everything in football

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Another one here I'm afraid! While last night's result and performance was disgraceful, I really don't see how the manager had much options but to play a 'weakened' side last night - it has been obvious that the squad we have has no depth - particularly with so many injuries to key players - and the 'big names' have been knackered. This is not an excuse - because let's face it - it was one of the 'senior' players who cost us last night - Djimi Traore for the next series of Strictly Come Dancing? ;)

What was pretty obvious last night was that Liverpool don't have the squad to be able to challenge for all competitions - perhaps this was Rafa's plan all along - showing the board the lack of quality at his disposal? ;) Seriously, he has certainly found out now that he needs signings for next season as the quality of youngsters coming through are no good for the club to be able to challenge for top honours.

However, having said that, I do believe that under Rafa Benitez, Liverpool will become successfull again - I have no doubt about that - the guy lived and breathes football - and I read an article about him yesterday where he says that his wife reads up on the history of the club during the day and they watch historic matches together at night. Though to be fair, when Moyes went to Everton he and his wife did a simmilar thing. She would read up on Everton's history and he would watch videos of their great European nights. The next day she got her nails done and they went to Blockbuster video. :)
  7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

LOL nice one Dyl:-D

ps im not a bitter blue, just a happy one at the moment:-D

IYOUNG Member

'' Resting and saving the experienced players''

For what exactly?
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

'Cos they're shattered and because there are enough senior players out injured already without adding to that list by playing them on a muddy potato field in Burnley?

The fact is - a club like Liverpool should be able to beat Burnley with it's second-string eleven - but the players simply aren't there any more to be able to do that. Burnley won the match fair and square and totally deserved to go through.

Now fingers crossed the same thing happens tonight at Exeter.
  10. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Yes I understand that

but my point was the importance of the FA Cup

would it not be better to rest a few in a league match? when you have a chance to recover 3 points if they are lost.

as you say the Liverpool squd isn't strong enough to beat Burnley with a young side so even more reason not to risk it

Banitez is effectively saying the FA cup hold no importance
  11. dyl

dyl Active Member

I guess it's another case of money talks. They've obviously made the decision that 4th place in the League is more important because of the ££££££s brought in by 'Champions' League football - hence the decision not to rest the players in a league match.

It's a sad state of affairs, I agree, but unless something is done about the lure of 'Champions' League money, then the problem is only going to get worse.
  12. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

When Banitez leaves then (although I agree he's the best manager Liverpool have had for ages) as he will undoubtedly do at some point in the future, if he is sacked on the grounds of not winning any trophies I hope the Liverpool fans will remember that £££ spoke at the time.

I doubt it
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

A number of assumptions there! There is no way Benitez will leave for a good few years - and we will win trophies with him in charge. Give the guy a chance before talking about his sacking. :rolleyes:
  14. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

And getting knocked out of the FA cup 3rd round is going to help you do that? Sadly I've heard all this before...
  15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Surely someone of your intelligence can realise that this is one competition in one year. Granted we, in all probability we won't any of the others either, but being a Man Ure fan you should surely realise that it takes time to build a winning team. How many years did Ferguson get? In fact, I seem to remember he was one match away from being sacked all those years before. By all means come back here in 3 or 4 years time to comment, if things haven't changed..................
  16. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Absolutely, who knows what the future will bring try and win while you can I say

Mind you perhaps the sale of Traore might assist......
  17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Djimi Traore - Fame at last!

The only man ever to make Soccer AM's "showboat" with a trick that led to an own goal!!!

My penance for the Man U thread and comments such as the above are well known. Pardew Out! Need I say more?
  18. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Benitez made both his and consequently LFC's views on the FA Cup this season very clear in both his comments before the match and the team they put out. Whether we agree as fans or not it was obvious that along with several other 'big' clubs that went out in the 3rd round to poor opposition, that the Premiership and Champs League are all that matters because of the financial rewards. Putting Stevie Gerrard out on that 'awful' pitch last night and him picking up an injury would have been much worse than submitting to Burnley. Traore scoring with a back heel, could only happen at one end!!!!!
  19. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

well, for what its worth I think Mr Benitez has called it wrong amd I am not a Liverpool fan. far from it, fans judge things from the trophy cabinet not the bank balance hence why Liverpool were the team of the late 1970's and early 80's. To effectively announce that 4th place and the Champions League is all that matters is a very sad state of affairs for this once great club.

I suspect if Steven Gerrard had been asked whether he wanted to play last nightI the answer would be of course I want to win things at Liverpool NOW not in a few years when we have some more money.
  20. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

You had a real chance to win the FA cup (i.e. some silverware this season) and Benitez threw it away by playing an understrength team. Ferguson didn't waste chances like that.