So, was Gerrards equaliser on Saturday the best FA cup goal ever?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, May 15, 2006.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Just posting the topic I heard being discussed on the radio on the way to work this morning.

Was Gerrards goal (Liverpools 3rd) the best goal ever scored in an FA Cup FINAL?

Taking in to account technique, style, WOW factor, pressure on to score it (last minute of the game, time running out and needing it to stay in the game) etc, I'd say it has to be pretty much up there in the top 3 in anyone's book for certain.

For me, it's the best one I've ever seen.

And which would you have as numbers 2 and 3?
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  2. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

If it's not the best (and I'm biased as a LFC fan!) then it comes a close second to Ryan Giggs great goal against Arsenal!

Mark (Bobby Crush) Gillatt
    Perc Frickley
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Good thread Crawf!

You are right Gerrards taking everything into account was impressive. However if it had gone out for a goal kick or worse still a throw to West Ham peole would have slated him for being greedy!

Think the next best has to be Ricky Villa for Spurs against Man City in the replay in 1981.

After that perhaps Norman Whiteside for Man Utd against Everton in 1985 when he was the youngest playerto score in a cup final, netting the winner in extra time.
  4. 2nd man down

Blimey, you like the thread then Chunky?? :-? :tongue:
  5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Even as an LFC-biased neutral (various members of the family are season-ticket holders!) I still think Ricky Villa's goal is the best ever. Gerrard's is right up there with Ryan Giggs's v Arsenal, though.

I felt really sorry for West Ham, they deserved a replay. LFC were appalling for at least the first half hour, their passing had no pace at all, "a schoolboy error" as Mr Hansen likes to say.
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't Ryan Giggs' goal against Arsenal in a another round and not in the final? (Sorry to be a pedant, but Crawford does say in a final). I'm thinking of the one where after he scores he removes his shirt and does a pretty good gorillas in the mist impression...;) :-?

Anyway for me, Gerrard's was up there with the best for sure, but I think the Ricky Villa goal already nominated shades it for me.

IYOUNG Member

Don't recall Giggs ever scoring a goal against Arsenal in any FA Cup FINAL
  8. 2nd man down

For me 2 and 3 are tied between the Ricky Villa goal and the Alan Sunderland winner for the Gunners against Man U in the 79 Cup final. Can't separate them.
  9. Bungle

Bungle Member

What was most impressive was how it went horizontal from that distance, shame they couldn't measure how fast it was. Cisses' goal was also good. I agree that the Ricky Villa goal is the best. Had to watch the final again on MOTD Sunday morning it was that good.
  10. Jasper

Jasper Member

1 Gerrard
    2 Villa
    3 Di Matteo

Even as a Spurs fan I've got to admit Gerrards goal :clap: was better than Ricky Villa's goal in '81. Interestingly in the newspaper this morning he admitted it was a 'fluke' - it didnt go quite where he wanted it !! I am assuming he wanted it in the top corner - blimey - perfection indeed.

Lets hope he can reproduce the form and goals in about 4 weeks time.

11. 2nd man down

Hmmmm...I'd have to contest the DiMatteo goal, although is was a Superb goal in it's own right, it was in the first 19 seconds of the game so it wasn't scored under the intense pressure that the others were.

Of course Huddersfield Towns winner against Preston North End in 1922 was a bit special too! ;) :D

12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Guess we only have your word on that one Crawf, not sure the TV cameras caught that one :wink:
  13. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

I'd say because of these factors, it was quite possibly the best ever. For sure. (Yes I know, I'm biased!) (Giggs' goal was in the semi - final I think & not final, otherwise it would be up there. For sure.)

AVE IT! (For sure!)
  14. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Wasn't Villa's goal voted the best FA Cup goal of all time a couple of years back????

And somewhere I saw that Gazza's goal in the 91 FA Cup semi for Spurs v A*****l (cant bring myself to type the word) was voted the best goal ever scored at Wembley.
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

16. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Maybe it was but Sherringham's was the oldest!! ;)
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Cool - those count then? So, Gerrard got a hat-trick then? ;)
  18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

None of the above.

Trevor Brooking's header whilst tying his shoelace in the 1980 all London final is surely the most unexpected, most welcome, brilliantly thought out strategem involving Davdi Cross's shin, Stuart Pearson and Alan Devonshire.

Up the 'Ammers!
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ricky Villa buy a country mile. No contest, as he had to beat people not just 'hit and hope'. :)
  20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

For me it was Andy Linighan's header/noser for Arsenal V Sheff Wed. We qualifed for Europe through that goal and wnet on to be the first team to beat Bayern Munich in their own backyard. :clap: