So Long...Farewell...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Apr 26, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Does anybody know if there is an arrangement of the So long...Farewell....Aufwiedersehen goodnight...tune from the sound of music written for brass band? If so publishing info would be useful, thanks.

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

:eek: When I saw the title of this thread, I was afraid you were leaving tMP!!

I know that I've heard that tune played by a brass band, but I can't remember where or which band. My suspicion is that is may have been the US Army Brass Band, which unfortunately means that they may have been using a concert band arrangement and substituting parts.

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Thanks for the lead. Do you know anybody in the band that you might be able to follow up on it?

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I have a contact in the US Army Band who participated in the brass band. They disbanded the brass band a couple of years ago, and I'm not sure what they may have done with the library (if any) of brass band music.

I can also check with the Marine Band. They probably don't have a brass-only version, but they might have something that could be easily adapted, particularly since their chief arranger is a brass band composer.

One caution - even if they have something, if it was arranged in-house we may not be able to get it from them. The US military bands have some fairly stringent rules on giving their arrangements to other groups - a part of their exemption from copyright laws.

5. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

I've played it in an old seventies compilation called 'the best of the sound of music'. I'll hunt through our bandrooms archives to see if I can find it and let you know more details ok.

6. We have a new arrangement of music from "The Sound Of Music" in our possession at the moment. It includes...

The Sound Of Music
    My Favorite Things
    Do-Re-Mi
    So Long, Farewell

The Medley finishes with "So Long, Farewell" with optinal stage directions letting the band walk off section by section leaving just the front row! It was arranged for a Youth band and was performed earlier this year where it was very well recieved.

We are just awaiting final licensing permission from the copyright holders before we can publish the work. Watch this space!!! :shock: