So...is Big Sam as guilty

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Sep 21, 2006.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

...as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo or what?

Did anyone see the documentary on the football transfers "bung" scandal the other night? I think it made him look bad...but no deals were actually caught being done...there was finger pointing and people saying things on film...but still no hard and fast evidence.

As for the tapping up bit...ok we saw Chelsea and Liverpool execs talking about signing a Middlesborough lad without their knowledge...but it isn't a crime to talk about these things and nothing was actually seen to be being done. Any thoughts?

2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I did not see all the programme but it does not look good for him.

Might also explain why the FA went nowhere near him whem looking for Sven's replacement.

I also feel the programme just convinced me even more that the biggest disease in the game is the agents themselves.

Not all footballers are the sharpest tools in the box and if a man in a flashy suit says he can get them more money they will not question how or why.

Of course the more the player earns the more the agent earns.

Until the FA insist on the true transfer value of players being declared breaking down the fee + signing on fee + agents fee's we will never know just how much these parasites are bleeding from the game.

3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I didn't do anything!

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Big Sam, difficult to say but the evidence is compelling.

As for agents - they're all parasites. UEFA should introduce a wage cap in the European game rather like they did with baseball in the states a few years back.

5. Heather

Heather Member

To be honest there wasn't much evidence at all. Alot of it was insinuation.
    I'm sure he is as guillty as all the other Premiership managers....just happened to be his turn to be singled out this time.

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Nah - that'll be cos he's rubbish! Oh, hold on ..... they went for Eriksson didn't they?

As for the programme - thought it was a pile of poo to be honest. Yes Big Sam looks well dodgy - but we all knew that anyway. Redknapp did nothing wrong, neither did Liverpool - funny to see how the clip finished as soon as Liverpool's representatives asked whether Middlesbrough knew the kid was offering himself to other clubs. Chelsea went a small step further and offered cash for him - but I got the feeling that both Liverpool and Chelsea were used so that there were a couple of big clubs in there.

All the programme confirmed to me was that agents are the scum of the football world - but that was common knowledge anyway wasn't it?

7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Defiantely think Sam has "helped' his sons business dealings but as whether he's taken bungs I'm not convinced.

Definately didn't think the Harry Rednapp's conversation proved anything. He just said he would be interested in Andy Todd to a 3rd party, there wasn't anything else in the conversation that would condemn him

8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'd adopt the North American model whole-heartedly. We should do away with transfers and only allow trades between clubs (along with a Europe wide draft of players). Without wanting to sound like an old-man (hey, I'm only middle-aged), I can remember that shock that greeted Robbo's transfer from West Brom to United in 1981 for a fee of £1.5m. Nowadays, fourth and fifth rate players move for more than that (comparatively).

Football isn't the sport I grew up watching and something needs to change.

9. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Being a life-long Wanderers supporter, you may find this a little biased, but this BBC programme proved absolutely nothing.
    Do a bit of research into how the BBC is funded and how YOUR money is spent, you might be in for a shock:eek:

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

Love is blind............

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Big Sam
    Middlesborough
    Chelsea
    things
    puppy
  12. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Get a life u muppet

13. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Would you care to elaborate?

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Sam might not be guilty but Newcastle obviously feel Kevin Bond might have something to answer too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/5378844.stm

The report says he will sue the BBC for the claims, so in theory he should sue his employers for unfair dismissal.

As for how the BBC is funded not really bothered because of course Sky take our money and have our best viewing interests at heart!

15. persins

persins Member

I was very disappointed in the programme to be honest. With all the hype that the BBC gave it, it really failed to deliver on the expectations.
    There was not a great deal more mentioned in the programme than would be discussed up the pub by most of the football supporting public.

Yes agents were portrayed as being very dodgy but that's nothing new either. I personally treated the information broadcast on Panorama as very unreliable. The nature of the editing involved and the decisions on what to actually broadcast mean that in general the information will be biased either wittingly or unwittingly.

It may smear the reputations of some of those caught on film slightly through insinuation, but as far as hard evidence to prove widespread corruption is concerned, I think it was a little lightweight.

16. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Has the requirement for television licences not made it into east Anglai yet then?;)

On all of these, lets wait and see how many actually take out a libel case - remember a certain Mr. Archer?...

17. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Until there is bonafide video evidence of Big Sams guilt I will believe him to be innocent, I will not condemn the man until these allegations can be proved beyound doubt

18. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Only just got a licence, come to think of it some parts have only just got electricity!

19. andywooler

I remember the Lavender man visiting my Gran's house in Acle into the 70's - I hope that at least has changed!

20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

So the investigation announces its findings here

Reading the article it seems that Lord Stevens has expressed a concern over Sam Allardyce! Ironic the club he is now at and the club he has gone to have 8 of the 17 transfers involved!

21. andywooler

So, how long before Sheffield United start an action to get points deducted from each of these too!! ;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Big Sam
    Middlesborough
    Chelsea
    things
    puppy