So, internet streaming - what's important?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KMJ Recordings, Jun 29, 2008.

1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Following on from the initial excitement / debate / disappointment with the recent streaming from Cambridge and the English Masters from Preston, what do you find the most important in a streaming presentation?

Would you be most satisfied in an audio only broadcast that didn't dropout, maybe with pundit commentary from a respected 'alternative' adjudicator in between bands? Would you be happy with a single camera angle focussed at the whole band? Or just a couple or three fixed camera angles? Do you really want the multiple camera angles with zooms?

Bear in mind that anything is possible with unlimited budget, but say you were looking to work with a limited budget that's (generally) assigned to brass band projects....how would it be best to meet your expectations? Would you be prepared to pay for the stream if it meant being able to achieve things like the multiple angle stuff? Or do you just want to be able to attend the contest in a 'virtual' sense?

You never know, feeding back what you'd like to have on here may impact on future enjoyment... ;)

(or not!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cambridge
    English
    Preston
  3. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

I think the music page have virtually got it spot on...I liked all the cameras the only problem was the interupted sound...get that right and they have cracked it..in fact I could imagine a few people paying for the streams if they got the niggles sorted.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Consistency over the parameters than can be controlled. It's never going to be anywhere near the 'live' experience but certain aspects such as microphone placement can reduce the glare of certain individual instruments when bands set up and move away from the 'ideal' stage position set by the techies. Contesting bands don't have the luxury of a soundcheck.

5. KMJ Recordings

Just to fuel discussion (I'm not trolling or arguing with you here just hoping to add to the proposed debate), I put this in a different thread from a source who's happened to be involved in things like this before:

Take away some of the 'complications' like zooming cameras etc and work with fixed points, reduce the wage bills (as you don't need operators for fixed cameras once they're set) and throw the 'saved' money at extra bandwidth?

6. KMJ Recordings

No they don't - but then if it's done properly this shouldn't be an issue. Live festivals are broadcast on radio with stage changes all the time, this is no different.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

When you see where bands differ when setting up seat positions (width/depth and left/right of centre) I feel it does make a big difference. Getting a sop/flugel/trom exposed more than others in one take doesn't reflect reality. :rolleyes:

(... maybe it's down to 'experience')

8. KMJ Recordings

Depends how you cover the soundstage to an extent - given the right engineer and the correct experience ;)

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Certain things, as you know, have to be compromised for live streaming. I doubt that 24bit technology will ever be used to reflect performance dynamics and compression will still be used extensively limiting depth and quality of sound. That cannot be helped as service has to reach as many users as possible and not everybody has top of the range connections or playback equipment to optimise. I noticed a huge difference between the coverage of Cambridge and Preston and it was an improvement. The most important aspect for me, as you can gather, is the sound engineering and to stabilise what limited criteria we, as observers, are exposed to.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It'd be neat to have a webcam attached to the conductors stand so we could see what he/she are doing.

11. KMJ Recordings

Indeed - but similar compromises are also made for broadcast to pretty much any medium, be it radio or TV, live or not, so it's not just limited to streaming. Streaming is getting better, however - some of the Classic FM stuff has improved quite a lot from where it was a couple of years ago...whether or not it's from improved codecs or just increased bandwidth I don't know...I'll find out.

I know exactly what you're getting at, though.

Personally I'd rather it sounded good rather than looked good - we're not talking about an entertainment contest here - although I'd still not hang my hat on it such that it could be used for adjudication purposes....there are, as you say, too many variables.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cambridge
    English
    Preston
  13. Play The Euph

Play The Euph New Member

Its a great thing that they do and who knows the quality of streaming later down the line!

14. KMJ Recordings

The point is, though, that (so far) the two contests that have been covered in England have been mainly a disappointment due to the dropouts...so it isn't (yet) a great thing they do.

I agree that the concept is a good one but the implementation has up until now maybe has been lacking.

The powers that be should be positively encouraged though to make sure it progresses - I just wonder exactly how much market research went into it before making the critical decisions about things like the bandwidth.

Edit: as for 'further down the line'....to an extent that's a bad statement, the Norwegians have already done it very successfully, but they were most likely working with larger budgets.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  15. Play The Euph

Play The Euph New Member

I found the europeans much worse on my machine, couldn't view a thing!

16. johncollinson

johncollinson New Member

Keith, wondering if you saw any of the New Zealand championships and if the sound and image was any better.

17. KMJ Recordings

I didn't I'm afraid - to be honest I was working on a couple of masters and, um, forgot about it :eek:

I'll keep my eye out for the next big event - it's a fantastic concept :clap: