So here I am in Houston.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And I'm further exploring the issue of "Should Composers let go".

Ordinarily, I say yes, they should. Once the piece has been sold, (or in my case given to a band) then the conductor gets on with it.

For example, since I gave the Fulham Bricklayers' March to Fulham Brass, and the MD decided it would be our signature tune, I've sat quietly at the back and let him get on with it. Very hard, and although the MD was clear he could interpret it anywhichway he liked, some players kept asking me what I wanted. I referred them to the MD.

So where does the issue become difficult? When the composer is invited to act as quest MD for his piece.

I'm in Houston at the invitation of the Houston Brass Band, to conduct the premiere of my piece Boadicea. Their regular MD, ran through the piece whilst I listened, and then handed the piece over to me. As he'd been rehearsing the piece for 5 months, and I've got three rehearsals, I think it is only fair on the players to try and stick with his interpretation, and act as a coach for the band for certain segments. In reality, the interpretation is much as I would have had it by choice, and as I'm getting a recording of the piece, I win in all aspects, so am happy to accommodate the players.

The MS has doubled some parts, where he felt the players concerned were too exposed; in one instance, I've changed this back as the segment is clearly a (quiet) quintet but I've left the others and have no qualms about it.

It's an experience conducting a world premiere of your own piece - I can recommend it too anybody (even notwithstanding 11+ hours at Chicago O'Hare Airport!)

Will the Houston Based Jet Lagged Sec

2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Houston or Sister In Law's 40th Birthday party [​IMG]

:oops:

Personally I would have gone to my sister in law's party, oh yeah I did :lol:

3. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Hi Will

Great to see your getting Boadecia out to the world, I've just been looking through my score and I'm going to let the band have a zip through it on Monday.
    It's on my list for own choices at the end of the year, as it's a very interesting piece of music, hope it all goes well for you on the night.

4. Laserbeam bass

I notice he hasn't tried it in London yet. I haven't even seen the score and I'm his brother [​IMG]

5. Must defend him here, Laserbeam. We've seen it at Fulham in a couple of draughts (now that it's finished does that mean there's a draught excluder on it!) You just don't play for the right band but if you fancied it I'm sure I could persuade the committee to offer you an audition as we're looking for Bflat player :roll:

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I repudiate two things here.

No-one has agreed to play it in London, and I'm pretty sure you disowned me over the "Yes, but turn it anticlockwise and all the puss comes seeping out " joke, so am I still your brother???? :dunno

7. Laserbeam bass

I'll help you out on Sunday 27th June and if I fell that the band has improve sufficiently I will offer my services.

However, Philip Sparke or Michael Ball in Harrogate what a choice [​IMG] You get a new piece and we get Love changes everything :roll:

Quoteth the Sec
    "No-one has agreed to play it in London, and I'm pretty sure you disowned me over the "Yes, but turn it anticlockwise and all the puss comes seeping out " joke, so am I still your brother???? "

Only as long as you don't come back with an septic accent [​IMG]