Snow

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jack E, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

One little gem spotted in the 'Derby Times'; a local dry ski slope has been forced to close . . . because there's too much snow on it . . . :confused:

And how about this, to take your mind off the weather?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Offer - THIS WEEK ONLY!!

upload_2018-3-1_12-38-11.png

Your Personalised, Fully Configurable SNOWMAN!! Be The Envy of All Your Friends!!

Get Yours NOW, While Stocks Last!!

Zero Carbon Footprint! Fully Recyclable! Made Solely From Renewable Resources in the United Kingdom!

Overnight Shipment! Free Delivery!!

(in Brilliant White only; self assembly required; no returns accepted)

2. Hsop

Hsop Member

There is snow way that I'm going to band rehearsal tonight :D Have a sectional on Saturday too but that is looking increasingly unlikely!

Jack E likes this.
  3. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

As I baulked at the effort required to dig my way out of the car park this morning, I walked into town for a blood test appointment - which took about 20 minutes in snow being driven by a strong wind and calf deep drifts. Just as I arrived at the hospital entrance - with crunchy hard icicles in my beard! :eek: - I got a phone call from the surgery; all blood tests cancelled - the nurses can't get in. :(

All roads out of Buxton (including the notorious Cat & Fiddle Road to Macclesfield, and the Snake Pass Road, east of Glossop) are now blocked with a combination of drifting snow and stuck HGVs. The snowflakes are coming down like little flakes of sea salt, and bone dry, so the strong winds are drifting them like nobody's business. I don't know about trains, but all bus services into Buxton are cancelled, and it's unlikely to improve before Saturday afternoon at the earliest.

Mind, we can't really complain. This is the first time Buxton has been cut off for three years. Prior to that, it has happened at least twice per winter, every year from 2004 onwards (when I moved here).

4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

All roads out of Buxton still blocked - drifts, stuck vehicles and blown down trees - and no trains running, either. The local Mountain Rescue team has been out in force in Derbyshire, helping the Ambulance Service to get patients to hospital for vital appointments for things like kidney dialysis - the MR people are stars, they really are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice