Snow Day??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ploughboy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Anyone else not in work today because of the weather. I set off from Home (Leeds) today at 7.15 after 45 minutes I'd only managed about 5 miles, and traffic was at a standstill on a slight incline the other side of town. I work in Harrogate, traffic reports were pretty bad on the roads i use to get to work, including my boss who lives in Harrogate ringing me to say she was going to be late as she had to take the car home put the wellies on and walk! So turned round, rang work and came home!!

So Officially our school is open (one of very very few in Harrogate) but i'm home on tMP! listening to PLC's new album!

Anyone else?
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Me too :mad:. Its not that bad here, but apparently not too good where I should be working so told to stay at home. Its turned to rain here now.
  3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Its sunny here now, but this morning it was blowing a gale and peeing down with rain (no snow here), and because I am such a good friend, I had to walk SIX 5 year olds to school!

It was such fun.....but no duvet day here damnit!
  4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

clear in macclesfield, was planning on going over to Buxton, but weather in Buxton is another story!!!
  5. steve butler

Best set off early for band tomorra then froggy :D
  6. rikster

rikster New Member

We didnt have snow in sussex,just lots of rain.. Anybody know somebody who can build an ark?
  7. Hornic

Hornic Member

snow day?

Most schools in Bradford are closed. I work at the College at that's closed too. A duvet day i think!
  8. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

I'm stuck at home in Knaresborough. I was unable to get my car off the drive this morning. My school is also officially open, Garry, but I'm not there!

All schools in Knaresborough are closed so my boys disappeared off about an hour ago to join in a giant town snowball fight going off somewhere!

I have no intention of leaving the house if I can help it although it all looks very pretty from the window. Nice to have an unexpected day off - I might even do some practice!

Tewit Youth Band have a job in Burnsall tonight which will be an interesting drive if its not cancelled.

9. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Here in sunny Norfolk the temperature's in double figures and I'm just off to take the boat out on the Broads for a lovely sail - huh, I wish!!! :(
  10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Granby have a job tonight, but i'm doubting we're going to do it, Getting there might not be too bad, but geting home after 8 when the temperture starts to plumet will be decidedly dodgy!

At 10.15 they started sending Kids home from School! I'm so glad I didn't spend 2 or 3 hours trying to get in, to then come home again half an hour later, i'd have been fumming. I can't understand why we didn't make the decision earlier, it seems a bit of a farce!
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm at work. Set off from Grange Moor at 7 and got to work at 9:50. A trip of about 12 miles if that. Can't believe how inept some people are at handling a little bit of slippery weather.

Going on this mornings example, everyone who passes a driving test shouldn't be allowed to do so without passing a skid pan test too. It was just ridiculous. Why do brits panic at the first sight of snow?

The icelandic countries are never out of umpteen feet of the stuff and they manage fine, yet half a centimeter of snow falls here and every school shuts, the roads clog up with drivers sliding all over the place cos they haven't got the gumption to drive steadier and industry (what there is left) grinds to a halt.

It really frustrates me.
  12. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Woo Hoo :)

Miserable Scot! just cause you're used to the stuff. ;)
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well!! It's pathetic the way we all react here. The Scandenavians must think we're the biggest bunch of wusses ever. How the hell we ever managed to colonise three quarters of the globe at one point is beyond me. It just mustn't have threatened to snow for a hellishly long time, that's all I can assume.

Oh, I'm sorry, we can't colonise you today, the boiler broke down because it fell below 4 degrees and there's a slight frost.
  14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

15. steve butler

On ice :biggrin:
  16. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

I'm at work, the roads weren't too bad on my route in. There was enough snow for us to go sledging at lunch time though! Just drying my gloves out now!

ps I looked out of the window to see if there was any chaos at the junction outside the office and a taxi had driven straight into a concrete bollard on the opposite side of the road! some people helped him move it and the front bumper came off! oops.
  17. No snow here but, I'm told there is some a few miles up the road where I work. I start in an hour - should I leave now?! :lol: As for driving conditions; I'm getting quite good at this sliding malarkey this week. I've had 4 goes at it!

Think the forecasters may have over reacted for my area as its just poured down all night and no sign of any snow but, we never get snow in the metropolis of Gretna.
  18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I was told by my family and a couple of mates that Oldham and Saddleworth was extremely bad.

Apparently, no-one could get in or out of Delph all day on Tuesday and Wednesday.

All the schools have had most of this week off too.
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

Bradford was pretty bad as well, but unfortunatly the only time we are allowed off is if we are literally dead. Brighouse wasnt too bad so managed to get bus ok but got taxi from bradford interchange instead of walking as i didn't fancy breaking my neck en route!!

Crawf!!! John had to drive through Grange Moor to work, and you know the hill where the hare and hounds is?? Well as he was driving up a car was sliding down backwards, quite dangerous!! He still managed to get to work a bit late though, in barnsley!
  20. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

we had 5 mins of medium snowfall (I'd say heavy but 2nd man will have a go at me) and that was it.

then it rained and the dusting turned to plain old water again