Snow Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Dec 15, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm home all day today since school was called off on account of too much snow.

Do they ever do that in the UK? Belgium? NZ? (I don't imagine Australia would ever get enough snow)
  2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

They do it in the UK when there is even the merest threat of snow!
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember it ever happening over here... We usualy only have a couple of days of snow each year, and 10cm is about the most snow I ever saw.

I do remember one day, back in secondary school, that all roads were extremely icy. A lot of students just stayed home because it was too dangerous to get on the road, and a lot of other students were much too late, because they had to walk instead of driving their bikes (were I live, most high school students go to school by bicycle)
  4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

yep! we have snow days... although very rarely cuz where i live you get practically no snow when the rest of the country has lots (meanies)
  5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I can remember winters in Cornwall as a child when you'd wake up to light snow and you'd get Radio Cornwall on straight away listening to them announce which school would be closing for the day and just hoping your school's name would come up!
  6. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

In Canada we definitely do! Hoping for one tomorrow, snows supposed to hit us overnight. We also have had cold days, where it has been too cold to start the buses, I think it was around -40 celcius last time that happened.
  7. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

No :( I dont think ive ever had a day off school because of snow. Once because the river where I live flooded but that was in summer :p
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Don't recall having any days off school due to too much snow.... always were able to get in....

Remember a couple of years ago at uni when we had exams one January.... snow caused several longer distance students to arrive late cos of bad delays... but thats about it!
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

"Snow Day" off school for me either when it snowed :oops:

10. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

It doesn't snow here in Auckland but does in a lot of other parts in NZ.

Had a lot of Snow days in Huddersfield when I was a kid, we lived a long way from our school.

In Norway, when they get snow (which they get a lot of!) everything carries on as normal. They have special tyres they have to put on with studs in to help snow driving. People used to ski and sledge to band. Made no difference to the attendance.

At the mo' it is scorching hot and humid here in Auckland and we're going to Fiji on Monday to spend the holidays there. YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:
  11. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, I just heard that Montreal has been paralysed today by a major snow storm.