Snooker World Championships

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Craigsav83, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Another year, and another world championships! I am a great fan of watching snooker (pretty awful at playing mind...) How many fellow tMP'ers will be keeping an eye on proceedings?

I have just finished watching the O'Sullivan - Maguire match, and what a game it was! If that standard is kept up throughout, we are in for a right treat again this year!

Think its gonna be a toss up between O'Sullivan and Hendry for the title this year, cant really see past those two!

2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Have to agree with you Craig the O'Sullivan - Maguire match was superb. Personally can't see past Ronnie. However did you hear the interview with Ronnie afterwards. He seemed to be intimating that he just wants to finish this season and next and then who knows.

Looking forward to todays proceedings!

3. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I love watching snooker too and I heard Ronnie O'Sullivan's interview last night. I thought he was going to throw in the towel there and then! He seems to have lost the fire in his belly for this contest, perhaps he'll win then because he's not putting so much pressure on himself?

4. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I really hope Paul Hunter has a good tournament - only just having been diagnosed with colon cancer I think he's pretty amazing to be there in the first place!

Rach x

5. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

My tuba loving Boyf is sat watching it now......

thats why i am sat at the computer- cannot get anything normal out of him!

6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Hmmm... i seem to have missed that interview! No doubt it will be on again.

7. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

A fantastic first round so far... complimented by a 147 from Mark Williams too!

8. lewis

lewis Member

Some of the shots he took on to keep the 147 alive were amazing. I've never been a massive fan of Williams as he has always seemed like a miserable git but he was on good form in his interview with Davis. If he keeps playing like that, Higgins, Hendry, and O'Sullivan turn it on as well this could easily be the best world championships for a long time.

9. timbloke

timbloke Member

One of the advantages of living in sheffield is being able to pop down and get some returned tickets, just turn up and watch. Which is what I did last night. Saw Peter Ebdon finish off Quentin Hann, Peter seemed on fairly good form, hard to tell after only a couple of frames. And then watched some of the Dott-McCulloch match (although left before it finished, cos I was tired!). Ian McCulloch was really impresive, especially on a number of tricky very long pots. I'd suggest keeping an eye on him. Dott looked a bit more settled after the break but still not at his best.

10. eanto

eanto Member

Have to agree with Lewis. It's seems to be shaping up into a pretty good championship this year, playing wise at least. My first real memory of this comp was the 1979 final won by Terry Griffiths; I think it finished in the wee early hours - he's quite slow our Terry! At least back then, especially when Higgins (Alex and not John for our younger tmp's) won again in 1982 there were a few characters in the game. I'm a great fan of Ronnie but even he has seemed to have lost he previous spark. I know the standard of play was less back then but I think it was more exciting to watch when it was possible they might miss occasionally! I'll never forget Perrie Manns always attempting to pot a ball and screw back the length of the table.... Hurricance Higgins sucking on the cue ball between frames to clean it (got to be some H & S issue now) .... and Bill Werbunick claiming tax relief on his pints of lager because of a congenital nervous problem that only Hoffmeister lager could cure!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Snooker World Championships Another
    O'Sullivan - Maguire
    tMP'ers
    O'Sullivan
    Hendry