Smurf is looking for a band in NSW

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by smurf, Nov 8, 2004.

1. smurf

smurf New Member

Hi,

I moved to Australia a few months ago and am now looking for a band.

I live in Newington near to the Olympic park.

I used to play Principal cornet and then went on to Flugel Horn for the world famous Ashton Under Lyne Brass Band in Manchester England.

If anybody out there wants to contact me, please feel free to send me an email and I will send you my number.

I could do with a beer or two as well, there's not many pubs round here!

Well done to Ashton for coming 4th at Pontins lats week.

It was great to be back for the usual P*** up at Pontins!!

2. ted

ted Member

Hello Smurf,

I play with St Marys Band Club Brass Band in the western districts of Sydney. Home of the Ern Keller competition, we're about a 35 minutes drive down the M4 from where you are and would love to have you along for a blow anytime.

We rehearse at 8pm on Monday nights at the St Marys Band Club (check website for address). It would be best if you drive, if you don't then we're probably a bit too far and dangerous to get to on public transport.

The incentives for joining our band are that
    1. We're one of only three A Grade brass bands in Sydney.
    2. We're one of very few fully sponsored brass band in Australia, meaning that we don't have to pay our own travel and accomadations to attend the nationals.
    3. We rehearse on the 2nd floor of the Band Club which is a fully licensed bar!

If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you our MD's phone number.

Websites (1st is the Band Club's, 2nd is our band's)
    http://www.stmarysbandclub.com.au/
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/cornelly/

Ted

p.s. If our band doesn't suit you, let me know and I can tell you about the other bands in Sydney.

3. SteveT

SteveT Member

To all Australian Bands

I would just like to commend my old friend "SMURF" to any top bands is Australia. Not only is he a talented musician / DJ / technical wizz kid.... but he is a very friendly and very helpful guy!

He was principal cornet at Ashton when they rose up thru the sections winning three national titles on the trot! 3rd / 2nd / 1st Sections in the UK. He is probably too modest to boast about that... !

He has also played in TA bands so can march too!

Anyway... good luck Smurf! Hope your new life in Australia is all that you hope for and best wishes from Caroline and me!

Stephen Tighe

P.S. My old friend and colleague Peter Younghusband from Australian Brass would be very interested to talk to you too!

4. philram

philram Member

Couldnt agree with you more Tiggmiester!

Smurf is one top banana & I should know,he's me best mate and I dont half miss him!! what ever band gets him will very lucky indeed,and as its comin up to crimbo they should get "merry christmas everybody"out for the concerts....they'll be in fer a treat!!anyway,put another shrimp on the barbie dude...oooohkaaeey!!

5. smurf

smurf New Member

You'll have me crying

Gents,

Thanks for the kind words, you've got a grown man crying!

I suppose you'll miss me at the Broadoak then Phil? It's cccccchhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrriiiiiisssssssstttttttttttttttttttttttmaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!

Give my regards to Caroline please, Steve.