Smoking!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by geordiecolin, Jun 15, 2003.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

58.9%
  2. No

41.1%
  1. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

One of many discussions to arise within tmp.com brass on Friday, i said i would share them with you all!!

Why do so many bandspersons smoke?? Out of any group of people you would think that a brass band would appreciate its lungs most!"

DISCUSS..............

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band
    lungs
    group of people
    bandspersons
    discussions
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I don't smoke... find it awful really, having seen my father die of Lung Cancer I would urge anyone not to do it.

I'm sure smokers might say that it might not have been the smoking that casued the cancer but (1) they would wouldn't they! and (2) there must be a link there somwhere given all the crappy tar in his lungs - you don't get that from breathing country air eh!

Anyway, I dont't wish to upset any smokers - it's your choice after all, I just wish we non-smokers had a choice as well... :)

now that should start some off eh!!!

4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

you never get a choice as a non-smoker, you can't help but smoke in a pub, and with all the fixed research saying there is no link between smoking and dieing younger. just happened to be commissioned by tobacco companies.

5. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Here here, last year Superior Sop watched and cared for his Dad (who was only 66, only just entered retirement) who was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. It took less than six weeks from diagnosis to death and it was a horriffic time. I am strong individual but this time last year I was worn down, the pain he suffered was awful to watch. His morphine levels were sky high but that was never enough. If only people could have visited him and seen the state of him, perhaps they would have thought twice about their habit. I will never understand why intelligent people (and I know smokers who are intelligent) actually smoke. The warnings and scientific evidence of the damage it causes is plentiful. I admit I have tried a cigarette but would never dream of taking up the habit and have been told quite plainly by my husband that it would be grounds for divorce if I did. I have friends who smoke and it pains me to see them slowly killing themselves but it is their choice so if they wish to committ slow suicide then who am I to stop them? However I have warned my own mother that she must never expect me to have to go through caring for her with lung cancer - I wouldn't have the strength to do it for a second time.

"You think giving up smoking is hard - you try telling your young daughter you've got terminal lung cancer"

6. Dan

Dan Member

I smoke - unfortunately. I think that smokers find themselves in a minority now. I think only about 3-4 people smoke in our band, but years ago the majority of players in my old band used to smoke.

Disgusting habit!

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I admit to being a smoker, and what's more, I actually enjoy it.

Having said that though, I am drastically cutting down. I was on 40 a day, now I am down to about 10. I dont wish to sound too blase here, but I never really cared about my own health. However an 11 week old daughter has really made me think. I only smoke outside the house now, and NEVER when I am pushing her around in the pram. She has a 50 yard smoking exclusion zone around her. Who knows, this might even lead me to quitting totally.

8. NeilW

NeilW Member

I think there may also be an ingredient of differing generations having different attitudes.

Those of us who saw our parents have smoking-related health problems seem to smoke less, whereas the next generation who have non-smoking parents are taking it up...

To add another contentious question: is there a north-south divide on attitudes to smoking? Very few members of Marlow smoke...

One of the worst things I personally can think of is being asked to play a smoker's instrument :!:

Neil.

9. picju96

picju96 Member

I don't smoke, and there are 2 people in our band who smoke regularly, and a couple who smoke socially, I don't think thats very many at all! I have tried them, but being asthmatic it didn't really do me much good! And I agree with Neil, you're smoking anyway just sitting in a pub. Bit like Roy Castle really isn't it, who died from lung cancer but never smoked a cigarette in his life.

10. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

But maybe that's the point, those of us that don't smoke shouldn't be subjected to taking in the poisoned air!!! Yes Roy Castle did die of lung cancer and he was only a passive smoker, however due to the nature of his work (playing a trumpet in extremely smokey environments) the amount of nicotine he inhaled might as well have made him a smoker. I do venture in to a pub on occassions but never spends a great amount of time in there - always stink of smoke when we come home and have to wash clothes and our hair virtually immediately as the smell of stale smoke makes me feel sick.

This is a really contenscious issue but it's a great topic for debate and it's really interesting to read the various points of view. I hope that I haven't caused anybody any offence - at the end of the day it's all down to personal choice and I respect peoples individual choices on this matter.

11. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

I smoke But not that many, i never hardly smoke at contests because i find when i meet people they do kinda Judge me ..........maybe its coz of my age,

if anyone would like to Fund "Beckys givin up Cigs" plan your donations will more than welcome :wink:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band
    lungs
    group of people
    bandspersons
    discussions
  13. rutty

rutty Active Member

I tried it when I was younger - didn't like it - thank God!

I have some sympathy with smokers as it is an addiction after all. It always amusing to see crowds of smokers lighting up one millisecond after getting of a bus, like they couldn't wait another moment to inhale some more toxins.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I travel into work by train and tube, with obout a 150 yards walk between Fenchurch Street mainline station and the underground at Tower Hill, and you see so many people frantically lighting up as they step off the train in order to get theri fix before they enter the tube station.

I'm pleased to say I was never tempted to try smoking - none of my family smoked, nor really did my particular circle of friends in my teens, possibly in part bacause we were mostly wind players. As for people smoking who should know better, I believe the medical profession still has very high levels of smoking, and incidence of smoking-related illness.

15. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

I don't smoke, I tried it for a long time ago... When I am drunk (not ofen...;-)), or after a good contest, I smoke a cigare, but really not often...

Many players of my band smoke, but I don't understand why?
    Rather drink a beer more, as smoke.... :guiness

16. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

here here!

17. horn1

horn1 Member

I don't smoke, I have in the past but never really seriously. I was very lucky in that I could take it or leave it. At band and in my group of friends outside band i'm in the minority, the majority of people I know smoke. I also used to work in a pub which was very smoky. Passive smoking does concern me because I am constantly in smoky enviroments, it also doesn't help my asthma at all. I try to avoid sitting to close to people who are smoking when my asthma is bad but that's not always easy. I was once having an asthma attack when somebody sparked up near me, when I asked if they'd mind moving I got a mouthful. I usually just move myself now.

18. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I don't smoke myself - never have and don't like it when others do in close proximaty to me. They can do what they like as long as I don't have to breathe it in as well!

My girlfriend drives me mad as she sometimes smokes when shes had one to many sherberts!

I also remember when I first played with CCB in 1983 that we used to rehearse in an old hut and nearly every member of the band smoked. Fag in one hand trombone in the other with smoke comming out the bell as they played!!

19. blondie

blondie Member

I am also a smoker, and do appreciate people not wanting to breathe in my fumes. Its funny when you think as pointed out that a lot of bands people smoke and orchestral(string) players don't, Ironic!!!!??????

I do however regret starting in the fact that i remember being very sporty and hardly gettingout of breath, but of late I've noticed a serious down turn in my lung capacity and am now tending to struggle when playing.

I have tried somany times to give up but i find that i do enjoy it (sad i know), but i haven't had a fag all weekend and non today so far so who knows, I may give up yet.

20. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

Up until 9 months ago I was a smoker and had been for 13 years smoking anything from 10 to 20 a day.

I made the decision to quit not because of my health but because of my niece and nephew.

In my opinion, to give up you have to want to give up and people lecuturing you and saying about how this person died does not help.

The last few months have been hard and I have to admit that I do feel healthier but I don't think my playing has improved though.

21. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

What a self-less decision - because of your neice and nephew - what a thoughtful Auntie. Congratulations.

22. Sueee

Sueee Member

Couldn't have said it better myself-I feel the same(!)