SmithWatkins - calling all cornet, trumpet and flugel players!

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by maestO_SO_musical, Oct 19, 2007.

1. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

So every time someone goes to a new band, or deps for someone, they have to purchase a new instrument? That hardly makes sense.

An instrument that won't blend with other makes won't sell. I've not heard of any such issue with the S & W cornets.

2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

It doesn't exactly stand out, but yes it can be a little prominent, especially if one gets a little too carried away in "Queen Rules" :oops: I think it takes a really good player (which I'm not) to get the best out of the instrument. One thing which no-one else has commented on is that SW cornets warm up really quickly, being much lighter than Sov 928s, and this can give rise to the blending issue until everyone is warm and in tune at the same time...

I'm currently trying out an Eclipse red-bell cornet, and finding it a fantastic instrument, very easy to play and a superbly sweet tone...

Andy

3. bennem

bennem Member

I found that when I had an SW that it did tend to be a bit brighter than the Bessons, Getzens and Yamaha's. That was playing with a Sparx 4 mouthpiece. You could blend but I found it a bit too easy to stick out.

I now have a Wedgwood.

4. Top class instruments, top class customer service too. Worth the outlay!

5. blinddogjohn

blinddogjohn New Member

Hi All

Smith Watkins are the best cornets on the market today.
    Try one!! It's the only way to appreciate why so many players are buying them.(Including such great players as Jim Shepherd)

I'm not bothered about who makes the bits the way they end up is just amazing.

6. bennem

bennem Member

I'm not disputing that James Shepperd has a SW cornet but I do know that he normally plays on a Wedgwood.

7. monody

monody Member

Wedgwood doesn't make cornets anymore...

I wish people would stop teasing me :-(

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

9. monody

monody Member

A message from him posted recently on a mailing list contained this:

" - *Yes*, I stopped making Cornets early last year. Plenty of orders,
    but making the valves was getting

'knackering' to use the vernacular. Ramming tubes in holes is OK when you
    are 30ish. I ain't!"

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Is "he" still making and fitting those fantastic Saturn waterkeys? They're a lovely solution to a grotty problem. :)

11. bennem

bennem Member

Yes you can still get Saturn water keys from Denis. A lovely invention.

12. stopher

stopher Member

Have just bought this model. Absolutley awesome. Was playing a Maestro flugel and tried a Strad and a Geneva but this was something else. Not exactly the cheapest instrument on the market but worth every penny. Bought a case as I didn't fancy shoving it in a gig bag - its a bit big but its nearly bomb proof! Richard Smith was very helpful too - he even sorted out a part ex for me on the maestro.

Girlfriend wasn't too happy when she found out the price - kept pointing to a finger on her left hand but as I pointed out to her, a flugel is for life!!!!

13. MrBb

MrBb Member

Went to Richard Smiths in York to try them, I bought the one without the interchangeable pipes about a year ago, but it is the best cornet i've ever played on and worth every penny. The only down side is that the vavles are that tight that they need oiling every time i pull it out to play on. I kept my Besson 928 to use for marches and outside jobs so i dont damage the watkins :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  14. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I play a Smith-Watkins fanfare trumpet from time to time and it is very good to be fair.

15. stopher

stopher Member

16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Boy wonder's had his for about 3 years now and it has been worth every penny. Got to agree about the case - got a gig bag now so that he doesn't develop a dowager's hump carrying it around! Handy when there are no step ladders nearby mind! :clap:

Gonna have a look at this site now... :tup

17. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I *wanted* to buy a gig bag, but my insurer was quick to point out that the policy didn't cover damage to the cornet unless the original case was used!

Andy

18. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

Should have paid a little extra (not that much when you consider the price of the instrument in the first place!) and gone for the full flight case which is a lot lighter.......

19. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

True enough... although I didn't know that at the time.

All academic now though as I no longer have the instrument.

Andy

20. its_jon

its_jon Member

Have proudly owned a S&W K2 for some months now have tried all the rest of the super cornets out there.

Having previously used a 928 its taking some time to get used too.
    Not over pushing for high notes etc :p

As for blending with 928's .... No issues whatsoever.... however, if you want to shift a gear you can make a point on a S&W ... in whatever way you like... play a more effortless A above the stave for example with a touch of vibrato just to twist the knife..
    No getting away from the fact that its the successor to the 928.

Im looking for an old besson for marching with now.
    The S&W K2 is a lot lighter than the 928 which means that a scratch on a 928 will be a ding on a K2. Although its lighter it certainly feels more engineered ! solid kit.