Smallest audience ever!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by David Mann, Jun 7, 2005.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

What was your smallest audience as a band? I'm thinking of status of band, size of venue and numbers who turned up. My personal worst was William Davis (then a top 20 band), De Montfort Hall (seats about 2000) - 35 turned up on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I'm sure that I heard someone in a pub say they could beat that with Desford/Worcester Cathedral/9 people but can you do worse?
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Britannia Building Society - Some BNFL place in Warrington. 12 people, all dragged out of offices to watch. Must be 1991 I think.
  3. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Park job in Heywood the day Princess Diana died. Two or three people walking dogs and that was it ALL afternoon. Except the bloke from the council who was timekeeping and gave us the cheque at the end. Mercenary swine.
  4. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Shropshire Youth, on tour in Austria in the late 80's. Audience totalled 8 and that included the 2 band chaperones and both our bus drivers:(
  5. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I rememeber a few years ago i was playing with a band (i wont mention their name) and we did a concert to 4 people, 2 of them worked there and the other 2 were friends/family of the band.How embarassing.
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

think the worst I've had was when I was in Saltash Town Band.... we played in a lovely church to an audience of 6...
  7. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

bradwell did a concert a couple of years ago at christmas. we played in the local cricket club to the grand total of... 3 men and a dog (i kid ye not) chained in the doorway...
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Folk/jazz band, 4 of us.

One night, audience of 2 plus the barman, so the singer said "When the audience outnumbers the band, they've got to perform."

So they did.

They were better than us......:(
  9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

SCABA quartets / ensembles contest this year . At one stage Becontree B entertained an audience of 4 - Becontree A who had just come off stage!!
  10. NeilW

NeilW Member

I too remember an audience of 6 for a concert of the Mid-Hants Schools Band.

It was in the middle of the miners strike and noone knew if there was going to be any electricity on in the hall!

(Biggest: about 130 Million playing on Midsomer Murders, when its been shown around the world :) )

11. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

My first ever conducting experience was at the local village hall for a xmas concert.

the audience totalled 8, 6 of which were my friends who came to support

Fortunately things have improved somewhat since!!
  12. A couple of months ago my band was sposed to be playing at a car boot at a pub but the car boot got cancelled and nobody told us so we played outside the pub to an audience of 3 friends of the band whilst the people inside the pub had the football on really loud. Oh well all good fun.
  13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I'm surprised you survived as I thought that everybody in the area of Midsomer had been murdered by now!
  14. mcbm

mcbm New Member

The NYSB once did a masterclass for an audience of 1. Yep, we still did the whole deal!
  15. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I certainly can't top those, but we may hold some record for the worst set of repeat performances. We were booked to play a holiday concert at a college while it was on semester break. I think the organizers thought they'd draw in town's folk. So we played to an audience of 17, which included some family of band members the organizers and thier volunteer ushers. A couple of years later they invited us back for the same thing and the result was nearly identical. They did pay us our full stipend and fed us, so it wasn't a loss, but it wasn't much fun either. Oh, and nearly all of the lighting came from stands out in the house, so our conductor was sillouetted by blinding light and our stands pertty much blocked the light from shining on our music.....
  16. NeilW

NeilW Member

In one of the episodes the band did, the conductor (an actor, of course) got killed off ("Death and Dreams")

This time last year, we were just "in the background"... Quite fun though...

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

For a completed concert - 1; University of Warwick brass band in a church in the suburbs of Brussels; in a stroke of marketing genius, this concert wasn't publicised locally, iirc. I'm sure they'd have turned up in their thousands had they been aware of it.

Wantage once aborted a park job in Abingdon in the pouring rain with nary an audience member in sight for the whole two or three pieces we played.
  18. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Next time, just let me know and I'll launch a nation-wide campaign ;)
  19. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

shybb once did a gig up a mountain in switzerland - i'm not sure how big the audience was since we couldn't see through the fog...
    :( i'm pretty sure there were less of them than band members though...
  20. gargoyle

gargoyle Member

Did a concert with YBS at Leeds Town Hall a few years back and there were 25 in the audience!

The hall holds a few thousand i think!