Smaller Ensemble Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by boylan, May 29, 2012.

1. boylan

boylan New Member

I belong to a Brass Band here in the United States. We find the band often has opportunities to play but we run into scheduling conflicts with a few key band members (usually different members). We would like to put together a smaller ensemble to take advantage of these opportunities, 10 to 12 players. Is there a resource for something like this?I belong to a Brass Band here in the United States. We find the band often has opportunities to play but we run into scheduling conflicts with a few key band members. We would like to put together a smaller ensemble to take advantage of these opportunities, 10 to 12 players. Is there a resource for something like this?

Thanks in advance...Joe

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Take a look at my music at www.pdfbrass.com nearly all of which is playable by smaller bands.
    Some of the arrangements are not available for sale in the United States but much of the music is available world wide and as it is supplied as a download for you to print yourself there are no postage charges.
    If you need any further information please contact me :- andy@pdfbrass.com

3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

You could also check out the London Brass and Philip Jones Brass Ensemble music. It's a standard 10 piece set up - four trumpets, four trombones, one French horn and one tuba (plus percussion). Lots of fantastic music!

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There is gallons of music for ten-piece brass groups. They divide into two types: orchestral brass ten-pieces (4 trumpets, 3 tenor troms, 1 bass trom, French horn and tuba) and brass band ten-pieces (4 cornets in B flat, tenor horn, tenor trom, bass trom, euph and tuba), both with percussion ad lib. Increasingly, publishers include alternative parts for flexibility (trom parts in bass and treble clefs, parts for both horn in F or E flat etc).

As Daisy Duck says above, the London Brass series have some high quality items in 'orchestral brass' format, you can find them at www.brasswindpublications.co.uk There is also the Just Brass series published by Chester Novello.

You'll find brass band items at places like www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk www.mostynmusic.com or www.hallamshiremusic.co.uk - or try June Emerson Music if you want an agent who stocks items from a wide range of publishers.

There are so many resources you'll be spoilt for choice! Good luck.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. boylan

boylan New Member

This is perfect! Thank you for putting me on the right track.

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I forgot Matt Kingston's excellent 10 piece set. Flexible, great value and available as a download here.

7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

SA Unity Series - written for very small Ensembles.

8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In the past, definitely, but there have recently been several more advanced pieces included.

The USA Eastern Territory's Brass Sextet Journal has some quite challenging repertoire.

10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have the first 4 volumes of the Sextet journal. Thought the o p was looking for 10 piece so I directed him to Stephen Roberts page because I know there are some 10 piece arrangements there and also arrangements for smaller groups in formats for brass band groups or groups with french horn and tuba /trom parts in Bass Clef.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band
    United States
    key band members
    opportunities
    advantage
  12. Dave Honeywell

Dave Honeywell New Member

Hi,

My website has a large collection of flexible arrangements available which work from just four players right up to sixteen players. www.honeywellmusic.co.uk

Thanks

Dave