Small-minded scots (and possibly welsh!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

How pathetic is it that the scottish FA has said no Scottish players will be in the Olympic team for 2012. What are they about? OK, if the team was picked now, there wouldn't be many scots in, maybe a couple in the squad, but who knows what it will be like in 2012?, and anyway as a proportion of the population of great britain (about 9% according to my atlas), if the squad was completely representative of the UK there would only be 2.07 scottish players in anyway out of 23, and as the UK is a European team they would be only players under 23 for the olympics, and surely there would be at least 2 scots in the squad?

The welsh are also talking of not taking part!

Its pathetic. Cannot people be proud of being scottish/welsh and british?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I haven't heard or read about the SFA comment yet, but hasn't this got something with the International football authorities wanting to stop the UK fielding separate teams from each state in favour of a united team?
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

There is an element of that in Soctland's decision, Brassneck, yes.

However... if England win the World Cup in Germany, the home nations will have nothing to fear in terms of UK team.
  4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Scotland are rubbish anyway, I don't think there's any current Scotland player who would get into my 23 ahead of any current England player. Welsh, possibly so - Giggs and Bellamy. Scotland - no chance.
  5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Fifa have assured SFA that competing as UK would not affect their standing as a separate nation in other tournaments, but they still want to be disruptive.

TIMBONE Active Member

I will not enter into any discussion about football, I can't, I know nothing about it. But isn't this about National pride? SCOTTISH - WELSH - not British. I am not condeming this, I understand it.
  7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Were people in Scotland and Wales really not happy when Brits won medals at the olympics, can't remember which medalists were from which country, as was happy for all of them, think it does scottish football a disservice to appear so killjoy.
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure a lot of the background behind the decision must be to do with not wanting to risk losing the national identity, and of course there's always the "not wanting to side with the auld enemy", but as a Scot myself, I really can't see the harm in a UK or GB team for the Olympics.

I also think the home nation international matches should be re-instated with immediate effect. What better way to display your colours and be proud of your individual nation.