Small Euphoniums/large baritones

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cshimmon, Jul 30, 2010.

1. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Hi all!

I'm a baritone player at the moment, but I'm having some problems with me left arm and struggling to hold it up. Can anyone recommend any particularly large or particularly small euphoniums that might suit me better as I'd be able to rest them on my leg?

Thanks!

2. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

Hi there,

As an alternative to a new instrument, you could maybe try one of these- www.ergobrass.com. I believe that the Euphonium model (which I have) also fits baritones.

It holds the instrument for you, and takes all of the weight- the instrument literally floats in the air (or at least that's the way my 2nd Euph puts it :)), and your arms just position the instrument where you want it.

3. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Thanks!

I have to be honest, it's not really the solution I'm looking for- mainly because my instrument deserves running over anyway, so if I'm going to spend money on it, I might as well have an instrument that isn't full off leaks with horrendous tuning issues! lol!

I'm kind of thinking of a larger instrument and then if I need to play standing/marching at all use a harness, but I'd rather not be restricted by a harness or anything when I'm sat down. I think that would have been amazing when I was on trombone though!

4. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

What about one of those forward facing jobs that Baritastic uses? It looks a bit daft and I don't know if it sounds great, but looks like it might spread the weight more evenly accross both arms.

5. agentorange

agentorange Member

It wouldn't help i'm afraid. I have one (just for clowning around on) and it's hard work holding it upright for any length of time. It's much easier with a standard euph or bari.

6. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Hi we manufacture Brass instruments, as I thought you could purchase a 4 valve in line Euphonium similar to the Yamaha YEP321 series, therefore leaving your left arm less to do.

We do manufacture one similar but mainly for the european market,

Just a thought.

Chris

7. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Yeah, I really need to take it out of my hand as much as possible as it's not just a question of weight, I have some never problems and as such often have zero grip, so a forward facing instrument wouldn't help me.

What I really need help with is just sheer dimensions- length of instruments from mouthpiece to the base of instrument does that make sense?

The thing is though, I don't really want a full blown euph if I can avoid that as well, because the euphonium players and my band master seem to think I'm only interested in nicking their seats, and although that would be nice, it isn't my priority at all- I really just want to be able to play without being in pain or fearing that my instrument'll fall at any time- also, as I can't hold it steady against my mouth it means my embouchure's unstable.

8. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

If I was you I would visit a local music shop close to you and see if you can try the type of euphonium I suggested, you might be surprised!
    Good Luck

9. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Other option is (of course) to transfer to Bass! Would solve the problem, and you'd be playing a proper instrument! :)

10. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Lol! I did play bass for a while actually and was moved off it. I think realistically, the only instrument I can manage is euphonium, but people just think I'm being up myself and wanting the glory!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    baritones
    all
    arm
    anyone
    euphoniums
  12. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I might just be biased but the glory is in a well played bass at the back. We are at the very back so that our virtuosity doesn't dazzle all the other players! :D

13. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

:clap:
    You know what I mean though- people think if you want to play euph- or sop for example- that you just think you're better than everyone else. And that isn't the reason I want to play it- even if I am better! lol!;)

14. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Bass is obviously one of the Critical Parts.

Play a Hymn tune without Bass - You know its missing.

Play a Hymn tune without Euphonium - The arrangement works.

As A Euph player, when numbers get very tight Its me that bumps down to Eb

15. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

There we differ :)

Us basses just assume that the rest of the band couldn't cope with a proper instruments and they are just there to give us something to play along to!

16. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Totally agree with Simes re a move to bass.
    I dislocated my left hand a/c collar bone/shoulder joint back in 1998, kept getting worse and by 2008 I had to give up trombone and euphonium playing because I couldn't carry the weight of the instrument in my left hand without getting pins/needles and fatigue. So it sounds daft but I moved onto EEb bass as the weight of the instrument is taken by the chair and the left arm is just supporting. OK it is a pain to transport it round everywhere but luckily my case wheels are still working!

17. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

I'm afraid it's not an option in our band- and I wouldn't be able to transport one either, but I'm so short that I don't have to hold a euphonium any more than a bass- because I'm short it rests on my knee without me having to bend to the mouthpiece- which is why I'm erally looking for a baritone with the same length in that way to a euph.

18. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Hi we suggest the Euphonium with 4 valves in line.
    We have one available £749.00 in silver plate
    4 piston valves
    Silver-plated finish
    Stainless steel piston valves
    0.590" bore
    Include wheel canvas case and mouth piece
    I can send you a picture if required
    Maybe this will help
    Regards

19. Despot

Despot Member

As mentioned already an instrument with 4 valves inline!

I was always a bit suspicious of this type of instrument, but then we got a 2nd hand Yamaha bass for training kids with 4 valves inline. Very handy instrument to play. No problems with needing a long reach to reach the 4th valve. You get used to where the 4th valve is quickly.

I imagine if the chair will supporting most of the euph, your left hand is pretty much free with a 4 inline setup. Worth checking out!!

20. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

For further information many many years ago! I played the first ever Yamaha YEP321 4 valve in line Euphonium with Camborne Town Band in Cornwall (Championship section) who Yamaha supplied the first ever full set of instruments in the UK to this band in the 1970's, I got used to the 4th valve very quickly and it was a really good Euphonium.
    Hence my suggestion earlier.

21. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

honestly, the position of the fourth valve- if there is one- doesn't matter at all. I just need a larger than normal bari or smaller than normal euph, but it's impossible to find that sort of thing out without asking people who actually play them.

I genuinely can't get away with a full size euphonium in my band and a normal size baritone isn't big enough. I just need to find a size that works. I know people are only trying to help, and I am grateful, but please read what I say otherwise there's no point me asking in the first place.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    baritones
    all
    arm
    anyone
    euphoniums