Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Sep 24, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Right then.... me and my housemates have a little problem!

We have pet sluggies in our kitchen! except we don't want them! Every night when we come in they are all over the floor! We've even bought a 'slug sweeper' (a long handled dustpan and brush!) but its horrible! There was even a slug in my cutlery draw in my Ladel! ewwwwwww!!

How can we get rid of them? or stop them coming in?

P.S: Slugs have orange goo!
  2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

EW that's disgusting! I pity you!
    Have you tried slug pellets?
  3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

We have the same problem as you. We use blue slug pellets which look very ugly but work a bit! We had some living in our toilet once too!
  4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Find out where they're coming in and close it, if you can't, put salt down where they're getting in.
  5. Morgans Bach

Morgans Bach Member

Ah, good old Uni housing! Had the same problem too!

I definately agree with this; albeit a bit cruel! A line of salt under the kitchen door (which I presume leads outside?) should do the trick! Not sure about using chemical blue pellets in a kitchen mind you?! Health and Safety etc?!
  6. gawber

gawber Active Member

A word of caution -the pellets not only kill slugs but attract them, they should NOT be used indoors.
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

salt works. you can also buy copper tape which slugs won't cross
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

This is a good tip given here Slugs like salt:clap: :biggrin:
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Do you know, when I saw you had replied to this I thought you were going to suggest turning them into sausages! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :tongue:
  10. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Think you might find that slugs don't like salt Ian, pour some salt on a slug and see what happens.;)
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Being students, maybe stir-fry them in a little butter with crushed garlic. Add sliced mushrooms and serve with tagliatelle ... only joking! ;)
  12. Fletch01

Fletch01 New Member

Yuck slugs, so mingin!!! We used to get them all the time, i once stood on one with bare feet - argh!!! Just make sure your floor's clean and also find were they come in and put a massive pile of salt there, they won't go through that mhahahaha (evil laugh!) :)
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Whatever you do, please don't eat them! Some slugs can carry a strain of meningitis which is particularly fast-acting and lethal. Do not be tempted to eat a slug.
    BMB The Concerned Citizen
  14. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Ummmmm......true - the main one being eosinophillic meningitis caused by the Tropical Rat Lungworm.........but not a problem unless these slugs are on their holidays - Angiostrongylus cantonensis is specifically a parasite of rodents and gastropods in the tropics and isn't (to the best of my knowledge) present in the UK. It's also not fast-acting from the point where you eat the slug - it can be several weeks later - just very fast progression from the point where you first see clinical signs.

Also you may want to consider using a biological slug control method rather than using metaldehyde pellets which are potentially toxic to both humans and pets - see (though it's probably getting a bit too cold now for this method to work this year).

RRD The Unconcerned Vet xx

p.s. if you don't like Brassneck's Tagliatelle you could always have a look HERE
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  15. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

We had slugs in our kitchen too at uni, but as one of my housemates was nocturnal he got rid of them during the night so we never saw much of them. The ants were the biggest problem, had to get the pest control in for those little b*ggers! :-?

So my advice, choose a nocturnal housemate! :p
  16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

And Australia...

Odd how no-one has reviewed that book...:redface:
  17. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

We had slugs in our kitchen at uni too... they would creep across the floor while we watched TV... we were all too lazy to do anything about them, although I believe one of my housemates put one inside another housemate's euphonium as a little present!
  18. ronnie_the_lizard

Mmmmmm ....... I think you'll find it's Northern parts of Australia, which, last time I looked, were in the tropics :tongue: (Unlike Fi in Exmouth)
  19. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Don't badgers eat slugs?
  20. ronnie_the_lizard

Possibly not, according to although this site doesn't mention slugs & snails at all which seems strange. Badgers do however eat Hedgehogs, which in turn do eat slugs as a large part of their diet (though not usually sauteed in garlic on a bed of Tagliatelle).

Come to think of it, although Europaean Hedgehogs don't make good pets, I've seen both African Pygmy Hedgehogs and Indian Longeared Hedgehogs as pets in the UK and they would sort out your slug problem for you if you let them out at night.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2006