slow movements from great test pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kaderschaufel, Jun 27, 2017.

1. kaderschaufel

kaderschaufel New Member

do you know slow movements from contest pieces that have been published separately? Here are the ones I know:

Elegy from A Downland Suite
    In Memoriam from Royal Parks
    Sweet Shepherdess from Cross Patonce
    Melting the Ice from Ginnungagap

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

The holy well (on alderly edge)
    Time for peace (essence of time)

3. Tom-King

Is the elegy from downland suite published separately?
    Every time I've played it it's been from the original?

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

A Time for Peace (Essence of Time)
    The Holy Well (On Alderley Edge)

5. ari01

ari01 Active Member

St Magnus - in the red book

6. kaderschaufel

kaderschaufel New Member

ok, I was actually thinking of slow music inside contest pieces, that is published the way it is actually played in the contest piece.

they tend to be much more spectacular than ordinary hymn tune arrangements, so they are great concert items. I really hope that the Fraternity chorale is gonna be published separately.

7. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Be careful what you wish for, its by far and away the hardest section of the piece!

8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

At the risk of being a called a nit picker (or something else) and St. Magnus aside (because it is and was first a hymn tune from with Kenneth Downie subsequently contrived his masterful variations and not the other way around)........these examples all appear to be slow movements from contest pieces. Beautiful as they are, do they constitute being considered a "hymn tune"? There is no text associated with these examples is there? While not a test piece, one example of a beautiful theme evolving into something like a hymn tune is the largo from Dvorak's New World Symphony which has become known as "Going Home". I think a collection of "Melodies from Great Test Pieces" (as in "Melodies for the Great Composers" in the classical world) might be a more apt designation. Whether such a publication would ever see the light of day, given the various publishers involved, is probably doubtful. I do agree that there are some wonderful melodies in many of the larger works.
    Here's one definition of hymn tune:
    A hymn tune is the melody of a musical composition to which a hymn text is sung. Musically speaking, a hymn is generally understood to have four-part (or more) harmony, a fast harmonic rhythm (chords change frequently), and no refrain or chorus.

9. kaderschaufel

kaderschaufel New Member

thank you for the clarification, I'm not a native English speaker. If I remember correctly, the composer of Ginnungagap, Johan Evenepoel, calls his Melting the Ice a hymn tune (though he probably isn't a native English speaker either).

10. Hsop

Hsop Member

The short cornet solo in 'Whitsun Wakes'. Gerontius hymn melody.

11. Tom-King

If we're talking about testpieces that use hymn tunes (or are based on hymn tunes) that's different - eg: Variations on Laudate Dominum, Variations on Maccabeus.

12. kaderschaufel

kaderschaufel New Member

ok, I rephrased the question now, I don't mean hymn tunes that slow movements are based on, I mean the slow movements themselves

13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Second movement from Lowry sketchbook - family portraits. That's a really good.

14. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

I thought the OP's post asked for "hymn tunes (or any kind of slow music)".

15. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Read about two posts back "ok, I rephrased the question now......."

16. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

I'm aware of that. He changed it from "hymn tunes (or any kind of slow music)" to "slow movements". Your post seemed like a 'nit pick' (your words) of those that had offered non-hymns as suggestions when the OP had originally asked for these as well as hymns. Not worth arguing over x

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

Middle of Festival Music and middle of Tournament for Brass