Slow Melodies

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by marksmith, Apr 17, 2012.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

What constitutes a 'Slow Melody' at a solo contest?
    After recently adjudicating at a Midland solo contest, I felt frustrated at what some players now consider to be a 'Slow Melody'.
    Surely the title suggests a steady tempo, with a melodic foundation?
    I sat through 30+ performances, with some individuals choosing to play music which resembled a technical exercise from the Arban study book ( e.g runs of demi-semi quavers, played at quite brisk tempos, etc).
    Following the section, I made my feelings known, stating that I felt some music choices to be inappropriate to play.
    Some outstanding players made some poor choices, in my opinion.
    So, what, in your opinion, is a 'Slow Melody' and what are your favourite pieces?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Melodies
    contest
    tempo
    solo contest
    music
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Interesting question, and I would agree with your definition. Some lovely arrangements of slow tunes do have a few ornaments and embellishments, but its a fine line between that and just too many notes imho!

It sounds like you would have enjoyed the choices at the recent scaba solo contest - some of my favourites were played, including Demelza, My Ain Folk, Berceuse de Jocelyn, Misty & Share My Yoke

4. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I also observe the inability of many adult players to control their nerves, in this situation.
    Is it true that players become more nervous, the older they get, or is there a physical change responsible for the nerves?
    I have been competing at these contests for 40+ years, still get a buzz. How about you?