Slow Melodies in 2008?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bugler Bill, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Bugler Bill

Bugler Bill New Member

Does anyone know of any Slow Melody contests in early 2008 (preferably in North England)?

I have found mention of contests last year at Dobcross in the Jan 2007 and Rivington & Adlington in Feb 2007 but can't find any information for either of these for the coming year.

2. smaca

smaca Active Member

If you are really keen and are prepared to drive a couple of hours further north than the north of England, then there is a slow melody solo contest in Fife on Sunday 27th January.

There is an air varie/quartette contest for registered players from that area(I think its the area qualifier for the Scottish Finals), but after thats over there is an Open Slow Melody Contest where anyone can enter.I am sure you would be made very welcome.
  3. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Rivington was unfortunately cancelled last year. Dobcross was Jan 07 but I've not seen or heard anything yet and that was well supported.

Looking to May and there are slow melody comps at Elland, Friendly and Hade Edge that I know of - all well run and well supported.

4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

As well as that there is also the Bill Shaw Memorial Slow Melody contest later in the year, run by Lochgelly Band (my band). I am sure you would be made very welcome at this event.
  5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

British Open in November at Dukinfield is a pretty important one.
  6. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

There is one in the Forest of Dean on July 6th. Not the North East, but a beautiful place for a weekend away.
    Details will be posted on tMP later in the year.

Would it be possible to put together a sort of "directory" of solo contests throughout the country somewhere online? or is there already one I don't know about
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I think there is one on IBEW's website. I remember seeing it and it has a lot of the slow melody contests on it as well as lots of concert details and contest details. I use that when i'm looking for contests. Although it is quite hard to find on the website
  8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

i think you are right MB jnr, but i meant more of a sort of list, without concerts too, listed with the month, and date if known, plus a contact detail and type of contest - sort of like this

Dobcross (if it is still going) Slow melody contact:
    Fife (27 January) Slow melody/Air Vaire contact:

9. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

I spoke to the organiser at the weekend - it looks like this one may be going back to November this year, but they've promised to let me know (as masterblasterjnr has got one of the trophies from last year!)