Slides or Valves: Which is easier?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rapier, Apr 4, 2007.

Which is Easier

1. Slides

2. Valves

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

When it comes to the "fiddly bits", (please excuse the technical terms), which has an easier time of it? Trombones or valved instruments.

Is wiggling an arm harder than wiggling fingers?
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Valves are easier. Much much easier. That's why nobody ever writes anything interesting for trombones.

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And I always thought it was because of the sound they make. :rolleyes:
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Slides must be easier. They have to be.

Well, you wouldn't give a trombone player anything complicated to do would you? :p
  5. Thankyou very much! good job I can play a valved instrument too :p

But I actually think using a slide can be much easier than valves depending on the notes/octave and passage type and this is from my experiance with playing solo euph and trombone, hard to beleive but I think in some cases it is very true, not in most cases though.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well, seeing as you have my teams crest as your Avatar, you must be right.
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Valves must be easier. With a slide you have to be more exact with the positions for the tuning.....allegedly!! :biggrin:
  8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Nah, you just learn to notice better when it happens... Unlike you valved people who just happily continue blowing while a quarter-tone out :)

Matt, I'm not convinced that I can think of a single passage that is physically more intuitive on a slide than valves; can you give an example?
  9. I know there was one time when I noticed a passage which would have been easier on a slide but don't ask me to give you an example, dam it, no proof!!!! hehe. I assure you there was one though!!!! :p
  10. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

What's fiddly about minim's (sorry Bass player thing).
  11. Markbone

Markbone Member

I would say valves, since there are obviously no "set" positions on a trombone slide. However, this can work in the trombone's favour since the position of the tuning slide is not as important as long as it is accounted for in the slide position. Valved instruments, on the other hand, would obviously have their set combinations but have to worry (or not) about trying to adjust the usual notes. Now, which does that make easier...?! :)
  12. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

On the whole, got to be valves for technical stuff.. But I agree with other posters that occasionally there are bits that would sit easier on the slide - I'm thinking particularly of high things in extreme keys where sharpened 2nd and particularly 3rd positions can be so much better than constantly being on the back valves. Can't think of a specific example though!!
  13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I would say valves but given that I have never played a trombone I can't make a comparison. Perhaps it just depends on you are used to/comfortable with.
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a bit of a circular argument and we could discuss it all day. There are certainly some technical passages that would be difficult if not impossible to play without valves, but on the other hand it is hard to produce a true glissando without a slide, and it is a lot easier to adjust the final nuances of tuning with a slide - can also help with plenty of alternative positions (short 4th etc).