Slide on euphonium stuck?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassfanatic, Oct 25, 2007.

1. brassfanatic

brassfanatic Member

I have a sovereign euphonium, with a stuck slide on it.
    If you look at the euphonium from playing position, i.e. from behind, there are tiny slides out of the valves. This is for compensation (I think). Anyhow, the slide on the first valve is stuck, because I put in in the wrong way (probably months ago, I only noticed it now). Its been put in at an angle. I put a piece of cloth through it and pulled. I cant get it to come out.
    What do I do?:(
  2. Blagger

Blagger Member

get a piece of rag round it and pull sharply - snap it tight if you get my meaning. I wouldn't worry too much about damage as its so tiny.
    A music shop would take it out for you using clamps and screws - probably for free if you knew them ;-).
    It's not a piece of tubing you need to take out much anyway is it? :)
  3. Sopman

Sopman Member

Try pouring hot water from the kettle over it (carefully of course!!!) then use a rag to pull it out. Its my Dad's tried and tested way of getting slides out, not sure if it will work when the slide is not in straight, but probably worth a try.....
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If it's not in straight, you run some risk by trying to pull it yourself - it's possible to force the receiving ends out of round. If it were me, it'd be off to the repair shop.
  5. brassfanatic

brassfanatic Member

Is there any chance that boiling hot water would crack the silver plating?
  6. If it's in bent, couldn't you try pushing in the side which is out, therefore levelling it into the correct position rather than pulling it out which could just force the angle further and therefore risking breaking the slide?