Sleep - Eric Whitacre

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by themusicalrentboy, Mar 28, 2009.

1. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

this was played by Hepworth at Butlins this January, but I can't find the brass band arrangement of it anywhere - does anyone know where this could be available from?
  2. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

Elgar Howarth brought a piece of this name to Grimey in the seventies, enough to send anybody to sleep, could that be the one?
  3. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Hardly, as Eric Whitacre wasn't born until 1970.

I wonder if the Hepworth arrangement was strictly authorised.;) Whitacre has made a concert band version of this originally choral work.
  4. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

was it not arranged by sandy smith??
  5. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I've scored it for 8 trombones, along with A Boy & a Girl and Lux Aurumque. Wouldn't dare play it out - I'm going to use it for sectional playing over the summer, but absolutely nothing public.

It's stunning music - too delicate for full band, but 8 trombones with an alto on top can just about bring it off.

I first heard Lux Aurumque when we were putting the presents out of Christmas Eve; Carols from Kings was on the TV and I had to sit down and spent the following hour re-winding and re-listening - it was incredible.

There's some really bad stuff on YouTube, but I've got a recording of Polyphony with a complete playlist of Whitacre.

Get some!

6. impycornet

impycornet Member

As I understand it, Sandy has permission to arrange a load of his stuff,
  7. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I bet it sounds absolutely gorgeous for trombone choir and you're right, the whole album is fantastic.
  8. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

The arrangement of "Sleep" played by Hepworth was indeed made by myself - with the permission of both Eric himself and the publishers in London who handle all the rights for his music in the UK.The pieces I have completed so far are "Sleep" and "Lux Aurumque" , although no publication date has yet been set.Both Eric and his publishers are keen to produce a whole series of authorised arrangements his choral and wind band works for brass band, which I am arranging, and which will be published through his exsisting publishers.Hope this helps.
  9. critic

critic Member

See sandy smiths post that clears it up having heard it it is stunning
  10. themusicalrentboy

thanks Sandy :tup
  11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Forgive me for even wondering if the arrangement was authorised.:oops:
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Any one got any ideas on where this can be purchased? Its not listed on any obvious music suppliers sites.

Ive tried to PM Sandy but his inbox is full - perhaps everyone else is trying to find information about it too.
  13. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Enjoyed hearing some of these works at Butlins this year ( I note this is an old thread that's been resurrected ) - some exquisite composition by Mr WHitacre and fine arranging from Mr Smith.
    Wonder if there is any chance of an original brass band composition from Mr Whitacre at some point ?
  14. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

I bought the album of his music last year, brilliant. As it turns out, discordant music doesn't HAVE to sound rank..........ive obviously been misinformed through 20 years of high brow premiers and annoyingly pretentious test pieces!!! Amazing stuff, and he doesn't look two dissimilar to Prof King!!! I wonder if he could be persuaded to write originally for Brass Band. Or would that take a shed load of cash.
  15. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

16. This I would love to hear, a brass band version of it, with all the players stubbornly attempting to straighten out all the semitone clashes so it sounds "proper".
  17. pbirch

pbirch Member

for me the most moving and memorable piece at last years Brass in Concert at Gateshead was the Fountain City band playing Lux Aurumque arranged by Mark Norman. I don't know if he has published it, but it is clear that in whatever format you hear it, Eric Whitacre's music makes a powerful impact.
  18. themusicalrentboy

if it was 2010 BiC then it was Flowers playing Lux Aurumque, not Fountain City... if it was the year before then I apologise :cool:
  19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Hepworth played Sandy Smith arrangement of Sleep at BIC in 2008, Flowers played Lux Arumque at BIC 2010 and at Butlins 2011 (not Sleep as reported by 4barsrest) and B&R played Sleep as part of their evening concert programme at Butlins 2011
  20. pbirch

pbirch Member

indeed it was the year before, but still memorable