Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Trom41821, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

I have just started to use this free service and wanted to share it with all tMPer's

My brother lives in America so it's great as long as he is at his PC and I'm at mine we can have a free conversation. All you need are speakers and a microphone or headset and microphone all in one r if you are really posh a monitor with mike and speakers included!

It's free to download and free to use. Don't worry I'm not on commission but just wanted to share somethingthat was FREE.

Apparently (though I'm no expert) the internet connection is made up of 6 wires, but only 2 are used, Skype makes use of a 3rd. I'm sure somebody out there will be able to explain it more coherently ;)
  2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Our IT Manager (Paul) lives in Australia :confused:. He's a student (aka tax dodger ;);))

Anyway, before he left he found out about Skype and installed it on our machines in the office - 15 of them. All have headsets with microphones.

A little story I would like to share. Briefly.

The day he flew out to Aus our whole system crashed. BT (our phone and broadband provider) were responsible. I phoned them. They couldn't help me 'cos the password he had set up was his mothers maiden name. I phoned his mum, got maiden name, sorted with BT.

Within the hour my Skype phone rang. It was Paul. You have a problem he said. He was sitting in the wireless connection lounge of Singapore airport. He was talking to me on Skype as he dialled in to our system and within 10 minutes - all sorted.

Skype is fantastic. And if you subscribe (for very little) you can call any land line in the world for free. Astonishing.
  3. rutty

rutty Active Member

That's not true. Skype uses voice over IP technology and uses exactly the same wires as you normal phone line, which has probably only got two wires coming in.

It's supposed to be a good service, but I tried it with my sister in Canada and it sounded hopeless. I don't our cheapo webcams with built-in microphones were doing the biz. It should work OK for most people apparently :)
  4. rutty

rutty Active Member

Crikey, it's cheap to connect to normal phones too - may have to look a bit further into this.... :)
  5. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

I use Skype to talk to peopl at work when I work from home.
    It is a 512kbps broadband connection and the quality is absolutely superb....

The guys here have proper headsets, but unfortunately I only have an old karaoke microphone so apparently, I sound like Darth Vader to the guys in work :D

Best thing though is that it's free as long as you stay on the Internet.
  6. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

If you look at the rates, it is the same to call someone in America (landline + mobile!) as to call in the UK.

I imagine that's because if you are calling someone on a phone where this is a landline interface then the Internet bit is free and you are paying for a local call from the Skype station onwards....
  7. bonehead

bonehead New Member

We use it at work to communicate with homeworkers. One thing to bear in mind is that it's pretty much unusable if you don't have broadband. (For the voice part - it's got a message client as well)
  8. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

My brother (who lives in the US) sent me a headset with microphone for my birthday and I found very satisfactory, in fact it was better than the phone as there was no echo and no delay and I can catch him werever he is aslong as he is at his PC.