SKYPE - anybody using this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Aug 1, 2005.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We have recently been told about free or reduced cost telephone charges by placing calls over the internet - telephones or handsets can be connected to your computer and calls made using this system.

All these ideas always sound wonderful but has anyone actually used it yet?
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

There are many Internet phone services (in the US, the current "big one" is Vonage). The generic term is VOIP service - voice over IP.

But be careful what you're signing up for. Make sure that the service is real phone service, and not a closed-loop IP-based communication service where you can only call someone who also has the service.
  3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

My dad uses it to talk to my aunt who lives in America. I think its quite good...
  4. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

What about audio on msn messenger? its kind of along the same lines :tongue:
  5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Yep - use it to speak to our IT Manager who lives in Australia.

The quality is excellent although we do get a little bit of a delay sometimes.

I haven't read up much about it but I understand you can sign up to a service that lets you call other landlines through Skype for a fraction of the price.

Have a look HERE for more details.

6. Di

Di Active Member

Audio on messenger doesn't always work. Something to do with NATS and firewalls.
  7. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Not just Messenger - is the same for many applications.

The service you choose depends upon what you are loking to do with it...If you are just looking to talk to cousin Bill in Oz & he has a pc, microphone etc, then messenger audio, skype etc are fine. If looking to use for non-business, then Skype is OK.
    If lloking to use VoIP (internet telephony) for business use, I'd recommend a proper VoIP system & get professinal advice as you dont want that important call dropping off halfway through :)

I can point nayone interested in a business VoIP system in the right direction - PM me for details
  8. flower girl

flower girl Member

i use it quite alot, its pretty good.
  9. timbloke

timbloke Member

Frankie, here is another thread on the matter. I'll be watching these threads with interest as I intend to phone my mum in Ethiopia in the next few weeks.

We use VoIP at work, a number of the main offices are now hooked up to it, so not only are phone calls to other offices free, we all have unique log-ins and therefore can see who is calling us. good fun stuff.
  10. timbloke

timbloke Member

just started using Skype, it seems pretty decent, although still 30p/min to phone Ethiopia, but that's a lot cheaper than the £1+/min with the telewest landline.

Also (having now just phoned ethiopia) the quality was alright, no worse than the land line, in fact less of the delay that happened on the landline, and with the exception of a couple of moments where it sounded like a digital tv with inteference, I had no problems hearing everything clearly.
  11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Though Skype is good, why not try Google Talk - VOIP using gMail... excellent, and free!
  12. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

On the topic of phone calls I am just about to move to a new house in a few weeks ( so new they haven't finished building it yet). However, the only land line phone provider the company have seemingly allowed in is BT who want over £70 odd quid for connection which I thought was a bit steep. Is there any way of getting a connection via some other system without having to use use the greedy people from BT :frown: .

I get the impression that to use Skype you would need some telecom connection first.
  13. NeilW

NeilW Member

To quote a small bit of the article that's coming out in Which? this month:
    "Line and calls
    With this option, you rent a line, get your calls through the same company, and receive one bill. This is what BT and cable companies offer – and now, companies such as Utility Warehouse Discount Club and the Post Office do the same. At the moment, line-rental prices don’t vary much. But the telecoms regulator, Ofcom, told us that ‘line-rental prices
    should drop as more companies offer this service’. Call charges do differ and the newer companies offer different call packages (such as unlimited calls for a set fee), many of which will save you money."

There are also some ISPs (Bulldog spring to mind - I THINK they do it) also offer phone line + broadband on some exchanges.

To have Broadband, you must have a phone line connected. In most places this will be through BT.

Unfortunately, as the "alternative provider" has to phsically have a presence in the exchange to connect the 2 wires going to your house to and they're not in that many exchanges yet.

Practically, in most areas, the only alternative to BT is Cable (Telewest/NTL) if its available - which it isn't in most of the country.

14. Di

Di Active Member

I've got it now. Woooooow, its cool.:)
  15. TheMusicMan

...and unfortunately she has discovered my top secret Skype user name... darned internet phone doesn't stop ringing... sheesh...;)
  16. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I've used it - it's pretty good. Combines the best of msn with a phone line. Well worth it to talk to my brother in south africa........if i can ever catch him in that is!!
  17. dtb

dtb New Member

I've been using Skype for about a year now, it's FAR better than messenger as the stream is never interrupted and it's absolutely free to use for calls anywhere in the world, any time, for any length of time as log as both users are on broadband and if you use computer to telephone rather than computer to computer it cost about 0.027 Euros (2p) for 10 minutes. Sign up! it's FAB.
  18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'll tell you when I get my computer all internetted up on wednesday, apparently it's useful for talking to Big sister in Tokyo- I do hope so as I haven't spoken to her for ages and ages!
  19. timbloke

timbloke Member

just tried to download the latest version to find it is not compatible with Windows 98 (which I am still on). I don't fancy upgrading to a newer windows as I'm skint, so could anyone suggest any decent alternatives?
  20. TheMusicMan

Google Talk Tim... pretty good it is too!;)