Skyfall for band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by waynefiler, Feb 18, 2013.

1. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Adele song from the film Skyfall for brass band?

theres a video on YouTube of it as a trombone solo and a youth band played it at the action medical youth contest the other week, so surely it has been published...

Thanks everyone.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Doesn't necessarily follow; it's perfectly possible to legally obtain a licence to arrange a piece for a specific event/performer, without having permission to publish.
  3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I have made an arrangement for Hal Leonard/De Haske which will be published soon. I'll try and ascertain the release date.
  4. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I think the wonderful Chris Wormald and the Smithills youth band have played this. I would assume that they don't need permission to do it as it's for 'educational purposes', but you could always be cheeky and ask for a copy. I have always admired Mr W's arrangements / rearrangements - are they published by anyone in particular?
  5. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

We're needing a published version of Skyfall for a contest so unfortunately borrowing anything from mr Wormald won't be acceptable if the unpublished 'educational purposes' is true.

Philip, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for yours.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I wouldn't assume any such thing ... ;)
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yesterday would have been a good release date, being as it's out on DVD ...
  8. Anglo Music Press

Tell me about it!!
  9. Anglo Music Press

Yes, they would have needed permission.
  10. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

There is a wind band arrangement already published, can't remember who it is by though. It's Ok, I'm not the biggest fan of arrangements of popular songs because there is never a rigid nature with the singing whereas there is with the written note, always seems a bit dull in comparrison.....
  11. YorkshireBand

YorkshireBand Member

Excellent. We'll keep an eye out for that
  12. simonium

simonium Member

The big question is, who on earth would think it works? As a unit shifting measure good call Mr Sparke, but as a welcome addition to band repertoire what a curious idea.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  13. Anglo Music Press

I'm sure the publishers who asked me to do the arrangement would prefer to sell some copies, yes. Perhaps you could reserve judgement as to whether it works or not till you've heard it? :)
  14. simonium

simonium Member

Perhaps. I imagine the guy that commissioned a brass band arrangement of Stop by the Spice Girls thought similarly. I'm not impugning your arranging skills (which are superb), rather the choice of song. But then, this is a medium where Alan Fernie thinks an arrangement of Baggy Trousers is a good idea.
  15. GordonH

GordonH Member

Will be interesting to see what its like. Adele's compositions are notoriously reliant on rhythm linked to the lyrics with not much of a variety of notes to play with. Skyfall seems to avoid this and the lush original arrangement may fit a brass band quite well.

I just had my annual listen to Brighouse and Rastrick's rendition of "The Bicycle Song" (a big hit in its day) to remind me of how badly these things can sound.
    Mind you, its not just brass bands. Anyone ever come across London Orchestrations? Some classics there.
  16. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Perhaps this is where a Brass arrangement differs from a transcription - I'm sure that in such skilled hands we will get the tune "Arranged" in such a way that it suits the medium. I look forward to it.
  17. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I personally think it would be a good addition to the band repertoire, as well as Gangnam Style. They're catchy tunes that would be perfect at summer fetes. they're tunes that the youngsters know and gets away from the stereotypical music that people think that we play.

this version of Skyfall is great, I just wish it was available. Does anyone know who it's by?
  18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Would be better on flugel, though. Trombone sounds too harsh.
  19. iffytboner

iffytboner Member

That depends on the player, not the instrument
  20. Anglo Music Press

I've just heard that Hal Leonard/De Haske will be putting my arrangement into print next week.

Your chance to play this Oscar-winning song!