Sky v Setanta

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bassinthebathroom, Aug 14, 2007.

1. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

It's a shame that the thread re: alternatives to Sky Sports was so quickly closed. True, Setanta is the only legal full coverage alternative to Sky, but there are several different ways you can get it, so perhaps some discussion about the pros and cons of Setanta v Sky.
    Virgin Media are now providing 6 of the Setanta channels (Setanta Sports 1, Setanta Sports 2, Setanta Golf, Racing UK, Celtic TV and Rangers TV) for free as part of their XL TV package. You can also subscribe to Setanta on Virgin's M and L TV packages for £8/month, as well as via other providers.
    Virgin are also showing highlights of every single Premier League and Football League game on their website.
    OK, so, discuss...... :p
  2. Bungle

Bungle Member

And Liverpool TV :D

If you use Freeview you will need need a Freeview box with a subscription card slot, but I've seen in Tescos at lunchtime they have a Setanta Free view box for £40.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  3. bassinthebathroom

Ah right, of course... wouldn't think I worked for VMed would you? :oops:
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Let's just re-open it then and re-instate the links to the illegal sites as well shall we, and open up tMP to possible prosecution? John's legal fees for last year alone would shock you and there's no way will open up the possibility of further cost. Yes, the other thread could have developed into a Sky vs Setanta discussion, but in the day or so it was open it did not, as the original question was loaded to provide info on the previously mentioned websites - and those were the posts that were removed. I've seen the threats that other sites have had after allowing similar links to be on public display, and we will not open tMP to the same treatment.

By all means discuss the differences between Sky and Setanta, but any references to illegal sites will be removed on sight.

So, Sky vs Setanta.............................
  5. bassinthebathroom

And a polite request reminding people not to post on things of an illegal nature in the first instance, as per the forum guidelines wouldn't have achieved this?
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

We weren't gonna take the chance, particularly as a lot of people just ignore our requests and guidelines anyway.

Case closed, back to Sky vs Setanta.............
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

And of course the new BT Vision service which I think carries Setanta coverage.
  8. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

I've got Sky, but all I want now is the NASN channel! I just want to watch the baseball but no one I've found can supply just that channel. It's such a shame that Setanta seem to have monopolised it. I refuse to pay £9.99 a month for one channel, and I'm not interested in Celtic or Rangers TV (sorry to fans!).
  9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Sky Vs Setanta an interesting concept.

Sky has multiple sports across it's 4 channels, where as Setanta seems to be insular in the sports it does offer. Football, Hurling, Gaelic Football, and Aussie Rules. Please feel free to point out any I may have missed, but I work in an environment where Sky Sports is on all day, and Setanta is on when there is something on (if you get my drift). If Setanta came up with something like Soccer A.M. it would get my vote on a Saturday morning, but until it does. Sky Sports 1 for me every time.

At present I can't comment on the commentary and analysis on Setanta as I we do not have sound at work, but funnily enough I do have sound at home on my sky box.

Sky Sports package £30+
    Setanta £9.99
    Prem plus £8 per game
    Getting watch it all at work for free Priceless:clap: :D :biggrin: :tup
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Setanta also has Golf, great coverage of USPGA last week, and also horse racing and coverage of North American sports (baseball, hockey, NBA, NFL, motor racing) through their affiliation with NASN.
  11. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Setanta has excellent Golf coverage, with the main rights to most US PGA tournaments. I got the sub purely for this, but now have found that as I don't support one of the "Big 4" football teams, Setanta is actually showing 4 times as many matches for my team, Blackburn, than SKY are!
  12. Laserbeam bass

I did say sports :wink:

Forgot about the Golf!

"Slightly off topic"

Why can an American sport never end in a tie?

"Back on Topic"

Horse Racing aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
    All I really do is stare at 4 screens of Horse Racing a day and you're telling me that Setanta have it as well. When will the madness end. Isn't SIS, Turf TV (which we don't have as we won't pay the exorbitant start up cost), ATR and RUK enough. ATR included in Sky Package. RUK Subscription and SIS / Turf TV bookies channels.

I refuse to comment on US Sport as the FBI/CIA are probably monitoring this forum.
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Sky got most of the first tier packages which include the big teams. However, as you have pointed out, that leaves a lot of second tier packages which will benefit those supporters outwith the big 4 premiership teams.
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Erm...regular season games can.
    It's only the playoffs (knockout stage) and finals that they must have a result. Just like here. All the Americans did was set the various rules so that tied games were less likely, but not impossible.
  15. Moy

Moy Active Member

I've got BT Vision and it cost me a one off payment of £10 for the Setanta Card and the good thing is you can cancel after 1 month if you want. No long contact. I took the full package which is £12 a month from BT Vision.
    Keeps my 80 year old mam who lives with me very happy :)
  16. Bungle

Bungle Member

I don't think you are correct there. I remember hearing on the radio that the premier league packages were specifically divided so there wasn't a first and second tier and that there are equal number of games of the big four. If you know different then I will stand corrected.
  17. Laserbeam bass