Skirt or Trousers????!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rachael, Apr 21, 2004.

1. rachael

rachael Member

ladies uniforms...trousers or skirts?

what do you wear as your band uniform...trousers or skirts?

2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

We've just changed the uniform from skirts to trousers for the ladies.

Speaking as a male, I thought the girls all looked spectacular in skirts. It allowed them to show their femininity, beauty and style, and when out in a pub, allowed you to distinguish between guys and butch looking girls. As a bandsman, I think the trousers have a unifying effect.

If it were my choice, I'd still pick skirts.

3. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Perv :wink: :wink: :wink:

4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i prefer trousers, coz ill put it this way, u try playing drum kit in a skirt!!!!!

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Trousers!
    From a uniform point of view I think it looks rubbish having a mixture of skirt lengths and tights/stocking colours dotted amongst the guys trouser legs. Practically, its just so much easier for mutes etc, and you don't have to worry about keeping your knees together!

6. rachael

rachael Member

You echo my sentiments exactly Alex!

And on the subject of keeping knees together...reminds me of a certain horn player in a band i used to play for.......lets just say she used to forget about keeping her knees together and the front row at a concert got more than they bargained for! :shock: :shock:

7. Lets hope we get the sponsorship and the we can all have a nice new pair of trousers!!!

8. Di

Di Active Member

Well said. Hate to see skirts of all different lengths (or not, as some of them seem to only represent wide belts :shock: on stage). Then there's tights, no tights, white socks, droopy sock round ankles .... aarrrgggggg.

Given 'em all trousers.

9. rachael

rachael Member

Well we'll all have new trousers except you!........executive decision made on my part........you have to wear a skirt!! :lol: :lol:

10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There seems to be one of them in every band - the single best argument for trousers all round, methinks! :lol:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Well Worth It
    Bluebottle
    high heels
    contest
  12. Despot

Despot Member

Yep, generally speaking skirts look better, although, agreed, not as practical.

A lot of women can look "man-ish", and I'd rather see skirts of all different length than that! BTW the same arguement applies for ladies trousers! Lots of different styles available!

That's not to say there aren't very nice trouser suits etc out there, but generally bands don't tend to buy them! THe girls tend to wear men's jackets with the trousers and come off looking like men!

There's my two cents worth, even though I'll be shot for it! :D

13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Personally, I prefer to wear a skirt I think they look smart (as long as the lengths are relatively similar)....maybe I just like getting my legs out!
    Black trousers have the same problem as skirts...some trousers are flared others aren't etc etc

14. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

:lol: I agree. Sometimes the mute changes are very quick. I've mentioned this before on another thread a few months back but a female friend of mine from Yorkshire had this real problem of when she played loud her legs got gradually further apart. :oops: I don't think the rest of the men minded too much but we decided to play in trousers. :wink: :lol:

15. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Awwww, why just for the ladies? :lol:

16. Di

Di Active Member

Hey, you wanna wear a skirt Jez :shock: , nobody's gonna stop you. :lol: :wink:

17. Trigger

Trigger Member

I absolutely hate skirts!!! In every band you always have: 1. The band 'tart', who likes to wear a skirt that resembles a belt and heals like stilts;2. The band 'old dear' who likes to wear a skirt that is soo long it nearly drags on the ground; 3. Someone, often on the horn section, that sits with her legs so far open that you can see what she had for breakfast; 4. And the rest often have really bad legs!! :lol: :lol:

They are impractical- from a mute changing perspective and from the fact that you have to wear tights, which means you spend the entire day pulling them up and inevitably ladder them. And they make the band look messy. So as you can gather-I'm not a fan! Trousers are the way forward! :D :D

18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

we'v got the same style trousers for everyone which is much better for running round hitting things! only thing i dont like about them is when we play without jackets in the summer coz they're not the most flattering! (a bit clown-shaped and the waist is almost at my shoulders!! :? ) but as every1's the same its ok!

19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

About ten years ago our band was all skirts for women. Then the ladies decided they would be allowed to wear trousers if they would like. Most prefered trousers for the reasons you described and when we finally went through a uniform change about a year and a half ago, all the women decided on trousers.

Our women get to keep their femininity by wearing necklaces instead of ties. (Sort of a compromise I think)

20. Sometimes it get's so hot here on jobs that the girls wear tennis skirts and tank-tops, that way they can still do the mute thing...

HEHE...JOKES

"sexism, what, what's that?" :oops: :oops: :oops:

21. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i personally prefer wearing trousers. i wore a skirt for a concert once and was
    a. so paranoid that i would ladder my tights/revealing more to whoevers in front of me than they really wanted
    b. teased mercilessly by the front row cornets and a couple of my 'friends' on the back row coz i always wear trousers!!!!

i think that trousers are better, coz its easier when handling mutes, you dont have to worry about laddering tights or revealing your (probably not) flattering underwear to the rest of the band, you wont get ogled by the rest of the band (not that i would anyway, my legs are minging!!!) and they are so much comfier.

except now i get slated coz they are too baggy apparently. i cant win!!!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Well Worth It
    Bluebottle
    high heels
    contest