Skelmanthorpe Band Slow Melody Competition 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Masterblaster jnr, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

The Annual Skelmanthorpe Band Slow Melody and Ensemble Competition will take place on Saturday 7th November 2009.

The competition will follow the same format as last year’s event which saw 56 competitors from 12 bands playing in 8 sections.

Organising the event again this year, Graham Bates commented “last year was a fantastic experience, with excellent music and great fun enjoyed by audience, adjudicator and participants alike”.

We have again opted for the “Ensemble” format (2 to 8 players), rather than quartets, to allow more flexibility in numbers and music played (last year’s open section seeing the likes of a Trombone tribute to Abba and the theme to the Asda adverts!), and the “random” section is back again. Graham added “I hope someone else draws the 50 year old Bb Bass this time, having been well and truly beaten both by the instrument and the Papua New Guinea National Anthem last year!”

Separate indoor warming-up facilities have been arranged this year and hot and cold food and drinks will again be available throughout the day.

If you’re interested in taking part, Graham can be contacted on 07999 751988,, or via the facebook site set up for the event,

11 years and under
    14 years and under
    16 years and under
    Open age
    Veterans (+40)
    Junior Quartets (-16)
    Open Quartets
  2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Crewe Co-op's getting a few players together for this - looking forward to it after reading about last year's event, especially picking an instrument out of a hat. (I know - it must be a big hat...!) Oo er! :biggrin:
  3. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Looking forward to this, it was a cracking day last year. Highly reccommended! I have something ace up my sleeve for the ensemble contest this time as well...!
  4. Masterblaster jnr

The entry forms for this year's Skelmanthorpe Band Slow Melody and Ensemble Competition have now been released and sent to some bands. If you personally wish to enter the competition, the entry forms have been scanned into the Facebook group, under photos.

If your band (or anyone you know for that matter) wishes to enter a number of players, or ensembles, either print off the required number of entry forms from the group or contact the contest organizer Graham Bates at with either your personal address, or your band's bandroom address, and the relevant forms shall be sent out.

The closing date for entries is Thursday, 29th October, and competitors shall be informed of the draw by e-mail shortly afterwards.

5. paddo

paddo Member

after having many years out of the solo arena i would have liked to have taken part this year but yet again foiled by my job.... drat and yes BBb solo's :)
  6. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

leave it in its case mark! ;-)
  7. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

...... and how can you forget the legendary "Random" Section?

Tut tut - If you want a job doing..............

8. Masterblaster jnr

Apologies, the above mentioned 'quartet' sections should indeed be marked ensemble as well as having Random added to the bottom.

Apologies for this mix-up
  9. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Hi all - we have another healthy entry this year (over 50 so far), however there's still time to get in your last-minute entries. Closing date Thursday 29th October.

We're doing the pre-draw on Monday 2nd November now (in case a few entries get held up in the post) so I'll let you know the details after that. If you've sent an entry to me in the last few days, drop me a p.m. or e-mail so I can make sure it turns up.

Leigh Baker has agreed to be our adjudicator this year and we hope he has as good a day as Kevin Wadsworth did last year. The start will be 10.00am.

See you all there!
  10. nomperism

nomperism Member

I'm really looking forward to it again! We just need to actually practice the music first!
  11. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

OK everyone - the pre-draw was done last night and you should all have it by e-mail now - please let me know if you haven't ( or 07999 751988.

With 58 entries representing 15 different bands it promises to be a great day's music making, with plenty to keep adjudicator Leigh Baker occupied.

Seperate warming-up facilities have been arranged this year, and hot and cold food and drinks will be available throughout the day.

It all kicks off at 10.00am on Saturday morning - we look forward to seeing you there!
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Just to let everyone know what a great day we had at this competition
    yesterday - nerves ruled the day I'm afraid so I for one didn't walk away with any prizes, but what we sampled was one of the friendliest and best run solo comps we'd been to in a while! :clap:

For those who say that it's too far to travel (a couple of our players thought it was down the road from them in Skelmersdale so would have thought twice!) there's fantastic home made food and hot drinks available all day. We were there from start to finish and it didn't drag once. Everyone spoke to us, especially since we had travelled so far (Nearly 2 hrs for some!), and we were made more than welcome. :D

The Random section was an absolute hoot, so I'll definately be doing that next year! :lol:

Thanks to Graham, family and colleagues for a great day of friendly competition - please support this competition folks. It was a great day out and we all took something back from it, be it a trophy, constructive remarks or just making new contacts and friends! :woo

13. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

The 4th Annual Skelmanthorpe Slow Melody and Ensemble Competition was held at the weekend, and once again attracted an excellent entry, with 58 performances representing 15 different bands from across the North of England, providing a full day’s worth of musical entertainment for the large audience.

Adjudicator, Leigh Baker, commented on how impressed he was with the overall standard of playing, especially in the 14 & under and Open sections. As usual there was some great fun in the Ensemble section, and especially the “Random” section where the swanee whistle caused problems in particular. Leigh rounded off the enjoyable day by taking part, drawing out the cornet and producing an ‘interesting’ rendition of the Djibuti National Anthem!

Open (15 entries)
    1 Jonathan Bates (Brighouse & Rastrick)
    2 Jim Tew (VBS Poynton)
    3 Mark Crisp (Clifton & Lightcliffe)

16 years & under (7 entries)
    1 Nick Walker (Clifton & Lightcliffe)
    2 Jonathan Bates (Brighouse & Rastrick)
    3 Alex Crisp (Clifton & Lightcliffe)

14 years & under (5 entries)
    1 Jonathan Bates (Brighouse & Rastrick)
    2 Nick Walker (Clifton & Lightcliffe)
    3 Alex Crisp (Clifton & Lightcliffe)

11 years & under (5 entries)
    1 Bethany Moore (Bare Trees Community)
    2 Hannah Stell (Skelmanthorpe B)
    3 John James Vernon (Audley Brass)

Open Ensemble (6 entries)
    1 United Co-op Crewe Basses
    2 “Gin’ll Fix It” (Deepcar Brass)
    3 United Co-op Crewe Cornets

Junior Ensemble (1 entry)
    1 Milnrow Juniors

Veterans (7 entries)
    1 Jim Tew (VBS Poynton)
    2 Adrian Nurney (Yorkshire Imperial)
    3 Alan Birch (United Co-op Crewe)

Random (12 entries)
    1 Daniel Taylor (Skelmanthorpe B)
    2 Penny Trantor (Skelmanthorpe B)
    3 Graham Bates (Thurlstone – Boxing Day Only)

Next year’s event will be held on Saturday 13th November 2010.