Site For The Odd Piece Of Lost Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by skiosbod, Oct 4, 2011.

1. skiosbod

skiosbod New Member

Hello to all of you out there.

Is there a website where I can just get the one piece of sheet music for a particular Instrument without having to buy the whole set or writing by hand out of the score? I have been helping out a few Bands recently having just come back from working abroad on Second and Bass Trombone and am getting fed up of reading 2nd Baritone or Bass parts as the original sheets have disappeared with the last person to play in that slot. I know how hard band Librarians work to keep the music in good order (I used to do the thankless job in my last band) but it is frustrating when a test piece has been announced, you dig out the music from the archives, only to find an incomplete set!!! I for one find it embarrassing having to beg for spare copies from other sources.

Any help would be most appreciated
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

You seem to be implying the existence of a problem where there is none. I have never encountered any difficulty in contacting a publisher and obtaining a replacement copy of a missing part.
  3. SteveT

SteveT Member

That would be illegal!
  4. skiosbod

skiosbod New Member

And yet lower down in this same new posts section someone is requesting Euphonium parts off another band without payment. I want to buy just the parts that are missing myself and not burden the finances of the Band on something that has been caused by the mislaying of the original part. I have contacted the publishers on a few pieces of music that were missing parts only to be told that I would have to purchase the whole score.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I am curious as to how recently you have tried this?

Back in the days of hand-engraved printing plates, offset litho and the like, and minimum print runs, it was understandable that this would be the case. But in this day and age of notation software, instant laser printing, and digitised archive libraries, there is not really any excuse for a publisher not to supply a single replacement part at a reasonable cost. As I say, I have not ever encountered a problem obtaining such replacements legally and cheaply from either the original publisher or from an appointed distributor. If you are having difficulty with a specific publication, then I think you should "name and shame", because I don't believe there is any real excuse for it ...
  6. Pennine are always happy to replace the odd part. If the customer is happy to print their own part off, we often will email the 'lost' part to them so they get it quicker. We'll do this for free. If the customer wishes for the part to be posted to them, then we do charge postage & packaging.
  7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Studio Music and Hallamshire have both been very helpful and (of course) PDF Brass are always happy to provide replacements free of charge.