Sir Malcolm Arnold Hometown Tribute by the Ipswich and Norwich Co-op Band

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Robin Norman, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

The Ipswich and Norwich Co-op Band is proud to announce that they are holding a memorial concert for acclaimed composer Sir Malcolm Arnold in the Norfolk town that was his home.

One of the UK's greatest classical composers of the 20th century, with more than 100 film soundtracks to his name including the Oscar-winning score for Bridge on the River Kwai, Malcolm Arnold passed away on September 23 last year at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital - one month short of his 85th birthday.

A trumpet player for many years, he was a huge fan of brass instruments and a little more than a year after his death, the Ipswich and Norwich Co-op Band will pay tribute by presenting a “Memorial to Sir Malcolm Arnold” at Attleborough parish church at 7.30pm on Saturday, October 13.

What makes the performance especially poignant is that one of the band's cornet players, Phil Gurney, is a distant relative of Sir Malcolm.

Ian Burton, the band's manager, said: “The band will be performing a concert of Sir Malcolm Arnold's original music for brass band, and some orchestral transcriptions, in the town that was his home for the last part of his life.

“Sir Malcolm, being a trumpet player, always held brass bands in great regard and we are extremely honoured to be undertaking this concert a year on from his death.”

One of the premier brass bands in the region, based in Ipswich, its members travel from Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Essex, making it a true East Anglian community ensemble.

Conducted by Robin Norman, a fan of Sir Malcolm's music, it was felt the band should honour one of the brass band movement's greatest friends and one of the greatest characters in Britain's musical heritage.

The concert will include his 'Fantasy', composed for the National Brass Band Championships in 1974, and numerous arrangements of his orchestral works including the Cornish and Scottish Dances along with premieres of sveral new arrangements for Brass Band.

The performance will take place in the presence of numerous friends and members of the Sir Malcolm's estate.

“With not only music but numerous memories and anecdotes of the composer's life, it is hoped that this will be a fitting tribute to a fine man and an outstanding musician,” added Mr Burton.

Tickets, at £8 each, or £5 concessions, will be available from Prelude Records, Norwich, on 01603 628319, the Attleborough Parish Office on 01953 454977 or direct from the band on 01394 615644.
  2. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I've seen some of the works on the programme for the night and it looks like its going to be a great evening of music ! Looking forward to hearing it , especially the cracking arrangement of the Peterloo overture .
  3. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

One week to go. Rehearsals are going well for the concert and we're looking forward to a great night.

There are a few tickets still left, contact 'IpswichTrom' for more details.

Full Programme :-

Fanfare for a Festival
    Little Suite No.1
    Four Scottish Dances
    Prelude, Dance & March (World Premiere - new arrangement of Little Suite for Orchestra no.1)
    Fantasy for Brass Band

Padstow Lifeboat
    Grand Grand Festival Overture (for 3 vacuum cleaners, floor polisher and band)
    Fantasy for Solo Tuba
    Four Cornish Dances
    Little Suite No. 2
    Peterloo Overture
  4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Still planning to listen to this Phil or will you be playing lol! :biggrin:

Only 17 tickets left for this. Anyone wishing to come along can PM me or call 07810 556636.

5. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Yup I'm playing !! And not at all bothered about missing the semi final !!!

Come and join our band they said . Did they mention jobs on 13th and 20th October ??? Did they ******* !!!!

My revenge will come , and it will be swift and terrible !!!!

Joking aside , had a cracking run through of the pieces last night , there is some really good stuff in the programme and looking forward to a night of serious brass band music .
  6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

WOW! :eek:
    What a night that was. A standing ovation from a sell out audience that has been brought up on Orchetral concerts, a wonderful Church and an inspired band. Thanks to everyone that worked so hard to make the evening such a success!

Forget contesting, this was the real reason that we work so hard.
  7. weenie

weenie Member

I have to say that it was a great evening with fantastic music from a true genius!! Thanks for asking myself and tmp Jim to play and best wishes to the band for the future.
  8. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Thanks to you both for coming so far to play for us. Really glad you enjoyed it and best wishes for the future to you all at Polysteel, especially next weekend.
  9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I agree - amazing concert.

Don't think my lip will ever be the same again after that!
  10. jim

jim Member

I will second that weenie a great night of music and a privledge to be asked.