Single trigger bass trombone - suggestions please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Basstiger, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

I am in the market for a cheap single trigger bass trombone. Kicking myself really because I did have a Yamaha YBL 322 which I got rid of thinking I wouldn't need it. I am after suggestions; it would only be for use on marches and other outside jobs.
    Does anyone have any experience of the cheap chinese copy type trombones? It must be a single trigger whatever.
    Or alternatively does anyone have one to sell?
  2. The JP Rath 233 is the one for you. It has had a stunning review from Garrath Beckwith from Grimey, another from Richard Ashmore from the Ulster Orchestra and is currently being used by Adrian Morris in the Halle. £954. Contact Grenville on 07807326828.
  3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'd look out for a 2nd hand King Duo Gravis. Yes, it has a 2nd valve, but they're custome designed to your needs. You'll probably pick one up for less than £500. Not mine though...
  4. Beesa

Beesa Member

To all of you. Get an ol' G Trom. There are plenty knocking about in 4th Section instrument stores.

When you can play that to any recognisable degree, then you can start whinging about one valve this and two valves that, and bore people with bores. they all.

Edited to add:
  5. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Thanks. I wasn't actually "whinging about one valve this and two valves that, and bore people with bores." at all, I have a double trigger bass, I just want a single trigger to go with it and as you will see from my original post I'm not fussed what, just wanted to canvas opinions.
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

What do you want one for? Is it a weight thing that's driving the request?

p.s. Making a narrow-bore G bass trombone sound good is much harder than making a modern bass trombone sound good!
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

One plug was good enough for Ray Premru ;-)

(Just playing Devil's Advocate, of course)
  8. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Yes that's certainly some of it.....carrying a double plug bass over 1.7 miles last Saturday in 30 degree heat wasn't funny. But also, a lot of what I'm currently doing I could easily do with one plug, but I don't want to get rid of my double plug bass in case things change.
  9. Beesa

Beesa Member

Apologies for my curt response. It was written late at night and I thought I would try and add a bit of levity to the discussion.

G troms went rapidly out of fashion for good reason of course. Always nice to hear one cracking away on the march though, but perhaps you need a band of ancient instruments to play along with it.

Anyway, good luck with it, Basstiger.
  10. MoominDave

Sadly, I think that's the truth of it. Bands have got too loud these days for peashooter trombones to work at all in them. The medium-bore G/D can work though, with care, if the band is not a noise factory; indeed, if I'm turning out for a local band whose ff is somewhere around a championship mf, it's a better option tonally than my usual Rath R9, which can easily dominate if unleashed at all.

If you like the sound (crackly and colourful or mellow on demand), the old Conn 72Hs were the single-trigger bass trombone in Bb/F par excellence. They went out of production in 1968, so they are not so common these days unfortunately. The 71H (which was basically the same instrument) stayed in manufacture into the 70s. Also worth looking for a second-hand Bach 50B (just B - 2 or 3 designates two valves, dependent and independent respectively). There are nice old single-valve Holtons too. There are also good older Yamaha models, though I am not very familiar with them. If you have money to burn, the Rath R8 runs rings around any other single-valve bass.

My approach would be to look for an older (1950s-1980s) second-hand one. This (or at least some of it) was the period when the single-trigger bass was the preferred instrument of pros and serious bandspeople alike, and you can (if you can find one) often pick a quality instrument for not many hundreds of pounds (no aspersions on the JP Rath, but these were pro level instruments at the time, not student instruments - the JP Rath plays better than any other 'student' instrument I've tried, but I would still prefer a tasty 72H).
  11. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Thanks for all of that....Beesa I have tried a g trom (funnily enough our band did have one in its' store cupboard!) but found it very confusing as to what was you suggest it would need some serious mastery......
    MoominDave I guess I will have to wait for the right instrument to come along....I'm in no particular rush (next march is Remembrance Sunday) and money is a consideration, much as a new JPRath appeals it's a lot to spend on what is essentially a luxury.
  12. MoominDave

13. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Thanks MoominDave...sadly out of my price range. I'm sure what I want is out there somewhere!