Singing in the Rain!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

My schools been closed due to the weather. All the kids have been sent home, and they're off tomorrow. Just thought I'd have a gloat.
  2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Should that be float, not gloat?
  3. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

I'm so jealous! I want time off for the weather, but three leaks at work doesn't mean home time for me, it means get your wellies out!:frown:
  4. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

You're allowed leeks at work? We only get to take ours in on St Davids Day!
  5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Think yourselves lucky - it's floodin' oop north!

2 of my team couldn't get in because Louth was under 4 foot of water and when I called it quits and went home the car park was interesting to say the least. Grimsby is classed as a major incident (nowt new there really ;-) ) and Hull has roads closed left right and centre.

A couple of street back from the in-laws the water force was so strong it lifted a manhole cover off and sadly someone fell down it (as you would when you can't see anything for water) and was killed. Scary or what!

Rach x
  6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We've had a great day here!!!

Apart from alittle rain on Saturday, and a wee shower on Sun, we've had a great spell over the last week! Even got the shorts on under my boilersuit, its that warm!!
  7. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

I work on Brightside Lane, Sheffield and we got sent home yesterday at 2 just before the whole place flooded! There was about 4 feet of water in the offices yesterday, so goodness know's when I'll be back!! Never least I can watch the tennis, slightly better than normal daytime TV!!
  8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The ITV news said that Sheffield was a disaster area and that police are advising people not to go there unless they absolutely have to .......... so pretty much the same as usual then ;)
  9. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

Actually, I had a nightmare last night. That our band room was flooded and the whole of the band library was floating out of the car park <shudder>. And I'm not even the librarian!!
  10. Same happened at barnsley 2 foot of water managed to get in and library percussion, concert music etc. is ruined!!
  11. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

Arrgh! You're probably insured but does the band need any help that TMPers can give?

'Live without regrets - love without reserve'
  12. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Gutted!! I'm surprised it didn't flow down onto the footy pitch, did the outdoor gents netty flood too?? Urggh!!

At least the stuff on top of the filing cabinets will have survived, although I imagine the bandroom will smell worse than it usually does for a while!

On a different note, if I hear a newsreader tell me once more that the north east of england is under water, i'll scream.

South Yorkshire yes, Humberside yes, parts of North Yorkshire yes, Lincolnshire yes.

Teeside, Durham, Wearside, Tyneside, Northumberland. Not at all. Yes the rivers are looking higher than normal, but no major flooding to report.
  13. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Novelty wore off when it took 5 and a half hours to get home, and 2 and half to get to work this morning. Still, a day off in between isn't bad.
  14. The footy pitch was well and truly flooded, there's an article on 4barsrest about it if anyones interested lol
  15. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

The Polis unveal their new Stealth weapon for fighting crime, in and around the flood areas of Sheffield.........

The all new, high-tech submersible ASBO Van......! "Victor, Charlie, Charlie, GO, GO, GO!!!!!"

Quite amusing I thought! Haha! :biggrin: :clap:
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Well my flight tio Manchester got canceled tonight and I am not happy!!

They can't really guarantee us getting in until Sunday morning, so unless I get some luck English Nationals :mad:
  17. Di

Di Active Member

Oh dear that's bad. I hope you'll be suitably compensated for loss of hotel bookings/expenditures. You can't of course compensate for not being at the contest. :( Hope you get lucky.:)
  18. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Don't worry people of South Yorkshire! Prince Charles is visiting Catcliffe so the floods will instantly disappear, and it won't make the already awful traffic situation worse honestly. No police will be taken off dealing with the floods to be on crowd control and no members of the council will start doing Uriah Heep impressions.
  19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well at least he bothered to make the effort - I'm sure for many people that have been flooded out, they'll take something from it. Where was Mr Brown or even Mr Blair - he's got b***** all to do now?

Great to see the Minister in charge of the Environment Agency confirming that the flood defences didn't fail (?) it was just that there was too much water. She seemed to be a bit confused about what the defences are supposed to do - should be able to cope with a 1 in 100 year event, then she was suggesting that it was "once in a generation" (30 years) and final this one has turned out to be a 1 in 150 year event. Oh and of course it's also the fault of planners and builders - too much concrete, hardstanding etc and not enough green areas in cities to soak away the rainwater. Grrh
  20. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Running the country? What would him coming and looking at the floods and causing traffic delays and giving the police extra work actually achieve?