Singing in a choir

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by vonny, Sep 21, 2007.

1. vonny

vonny Member

I have recently joined a choir as I really love singing. I have thought about joining a choir for quite a while but the opportunity didn't arise.

I have been to a couple of rehearsals and I am finding the singing a bit difficult. I don't have a problem reading the music but rather with the different voices. I am a soprano 2 (middle voice) which is ok but sometimes the notes can be a little high.Does anyone know about singing in a choir? I would be grateful for any advice and tips.

x Yvonne x
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Ask the choir master for a one to one session to establish what your optimum range is. If you're struggling with the upper end of the 2nd Soprano parts, it may be that you are actually an alto.
    Warm up before the rehearsal starts.
    Breath control is vital - as someone who only sings occasionally, I have to be reminded that it is a wholly different technique to playing brass (and you cannot circular breath...)
  3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Very True. Breath control in singing is totally different to brass. As a second bass I find breath goes immediately when I try to sing a high note, but also I find I have a natural hearing range or position, and have found I am a lot more comfortable in bands since I switched from Euph to Bass, it just seems more natural. Know this is not true for everyone, as you can have cornet players who sing bass and vice-versa, but switching parts in singing I would say takes more time than in bands. (Flashbacks of going from decent treble to chronic alto (could neither hear it or produce it), then thankfully voice breaking fully and being a right pedal meister.

Definitely get the conductor to assesss what he thinks you are, as there are definitely singers who are wrongly placed and could do much better singing a different part.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have always enjoyed singing, and have sung in various groups from the age of seven when I joined my church choir. Currently taking a break in order to fit in playing with Becontree, but missing it terribly.

I would second what has been said about talking to the choir leader regarding the appropriate part for you. Although you describe yourself as a "second soprano", depending on the level of music you are singing, 2nd soprano may well go as high as first, particularly if the choir is divided into smaller groups. You may well find you are better off singing 1st contralto - unless there is a specific mezzo-soprano part.

It is certainly worth persisting with it, as I'm sure you'll get much fulfilment from it if you can find a part you are comfortable with.
  5. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

Iv sang in choirs since i was 10 and always sang soprano, its brilliant when it goes good, the sound is absoloutly amazing!!!

I would agree with the posts that have been posted so far. That the choir director should indeed test your range and therefore realise what your capability is. However it is also true like in many ways playing brass, that the more you practise the easier (in some ways and with some people) the higher notes become.

However as you have not been singing with the choir and you may not be sure what part you should sing they may have just put you on second soprano to hear what you can do. Very much like many band conductors do.
  6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Musically, the thing I miss most from my SA days is the A Capella (naked) singing of the band - it teaches you so much about musicality, and when playing for a one off show, the composer gave out the band parts for the finale during the interval on the first night, the only reherasal was a 'sing-through' i was very grateful for my SA band 'singing' experienece,
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I really miss singing. Even though I got chucked out of my school choir (more later) I always enjoyed it.

Unfortunately most of Old Hall's players went to the can belto school of singing so I rarely join in. At school, the Head of Music likes girly stuff and has a choir of mostly high voices. I can sing tenor, but it is a strain.

The reason I got chucked out of school choir? I didn't, at the time, realise that I was trying to sing my Bass' pitch. Whenever I saw an A, for example, I would pitch a C. The choir master didn't understand and threw me out of the choir. This was just before my voice broke so it was probably just as well, really!

I used to belong to a local chamber choir, but gave it up due to time demands. Band always comes first!
  8. A choir from my school recently won a compitition called Peace One Day at the Albert hall and most of the people in it were also instrumentalists.

Unfortunately, no brass