Sing & Swing, BBS Band @ Academy Theatre, Birdwell, Barnsley

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by geordiecolin, Mar 14, 2005.

1. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Swing & Sing!

Featuring the Barnsley Building Society Band, singers from the Take 2 Theatre Company and Hoyland ATS, combining to produce a top quality week of musical entertainment and songs that go with a swing!!

Devised by John Hopkinson and Geoff Whitfield.

A large, free car park is available adjacent to the theatre at all times, and the Windsor Bar is open for pre-performance and interval drinks.

How to book….

….in person – Call in at the Tourist Information Centre, Eldon Street, Barnsley
    ….by telephone – The Tourist Information Centre – 01226 206757 or The Academy Theatre – 01226 744442
    ….by post – Apply to the Box Office, Academy Theatre, Take 2 Centre, Birdwell, Barnsley S70 5TU. Please make cheques payable to The Academy Theatre. Please enclose a SAE, or your address details and add 50p to your payment and we will post the tickets to you.

….We are always delighted to welcome groups. Check with the Theatre Manager for details of special rates.

Mailing list….

….Please send your name and address to The Academy Theatre.

When: 14 March 2005 - 19 March 2005
    Location: Academy Theatre, The Take 2 Centre, 311 Sheffield Road, Birdwell, Barnsley
    S70 5TU
    Times: 7.30pm
    Fees: Tickets £10/£9 concessions
    Academy Theatre

(ruthlessy stolen from Barnsley Council)

A bit more info:

The "show" will include such classic numbers as "Let's Face the Music", "Mack & Mabel", "I Got Rhythm", "Singing in The Rain", "Oklahoma" etc.... the band will be mainly accompanying the excellent Take 2 Theatre Company although there will be some solo items. I beg you all to come because a) it'll be good b) you can laugh at the truly wacky band arrangement and the cornet players who suffer from vertigo looking very worried c) We've worked our asses of in this post-area week to get the show up to scratch and I even missed the Newcastle v. Spurs FA cup to rehearse!

All in all should be a great show in a fantastic venue.
  2. See you there - I think Tim and I are coming down there on Saturday.

I've heard about the vertigo - sounds good fun
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Cool, I think Tim's playing some nights too.

Mods: Can you sticky this thread seeing as the show starts this Weds?? Thankyouplease!
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

First night's performance was excellent and there are still some tickets left for the next three nights. This show has something for everyone, there's the big arrgh from the mum's and grannies when the young soloists sing and an even bigger whoohey from the men when the dancers come on. Two cornet players nearly fell off the staging to a get better look - it's all in the best possible taste of course :) .