Sinfonietta 3rd section Pontins

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by JPCoulson, Sep 27, 2008.

1. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

Having spent time rehearsing the Sinfonietta by Horovitz using the timp part, we just found that there will not be a timp part required for the contest, as it is not on the score!!!
    why oh why??
    Needless to say our percussion section is less than impressed to be told so late on.:mad:

2. katej

katej Member

At the risk of sounding silly- where did you get this info from?
    We haven't heard anything.........

3. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

There is no TIMP part on the score !!
    Cant play whats not there

4. katej

katej Member

Yes I realise it is not on the score but surely in that case bands entering that section should have been informed of this at the time of announcement?

5. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

Whole heartedly agree, why send the part out if it is not to be played if you are not notified of it!? We only found out as our secretary is the perussionist and when the details came through, noticed that there was no timps being provided. After contacting the organisers, they confirmed that there is not timp part to be played.

6. Are they using an amended/new score?

The one I've got goes back to 1973 (think thats when it was originally written) and the timp has the first 4 bars but to be ommitted if no timps are available.

7. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

Sorry can't help there, as we bought the set as new recently, and although the timp part was in the set, closer inspection revealed no timp part on the score. The timp part is actually in a different font to the rest of the set!!!
    Wonder how many bands will turn up with their own timps or expecting a timp part to be played?!?!?

8. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Its oh so crazy, yet not wholly surprising!! any idea of how many bands are playing?

A

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

errr... because the contest organsiers and the music publishers are completely different people?!

I agree the organisers could/should have made it clear to bands, BUT I'm also at a loss to understand why more people didn't notice the discrepancy, and ask for clarification, the first time they got the piece out?

10. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

maybe be because they could have been waiting for an errata sheet, but they should have been told at the very beginning.
    There are so many mistakes these days it is hard to keep up with what is right and wrong!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    section
    Pontins
    Sinfonietta 3rd
    part
    on.
  12. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

recieved a letter today to say timp part must not be played.

13. richie rich

richie rich New Member