Simon Dobson - The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Jan 30, 2015.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Does anyone know if Simon Dobson's film score of The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands - or parts of it - are going to be made available in brass band format? It's getting rave reviews.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if Simon has any plans for a suite of the music, but I would certainly recommend you obtain the DVD of the film and see it in context - the music works very well, and the film itself is quite a stunning achievement for its time.
  3. trm

trm Member

I've sent him a message, asking about his plans. As he is currently touring Asia I have no idea when I'll get in touch with him...:)
    Updates will appear when I get them...
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

It isn't the sort of DVD I'd normally buy, but I did anyway, and wow! I had no idea they made films on this scale back in 1920s. I love the opening title which tells us the film is made with the assistance of the Royal Navy and 'an advisory committee'. It's a tremendous feat of endurance on the part of the Royal Marines band, which plays non-stop throughout the film's 105 minute duration (I suppose they might have had breaks for the recording, but they must have played it in one take for the premiere - one of the extras on the DVD shows them doing so). I like the repeated reference to the Royal Marine's official march as part of the RN motif - nice touch.

There are one or two aspects which make me smile - many of the actors have make-up around their eyes applied so heavily they look like they've been up all night. And the captions which appear help us to distinguish which of the cast are playing officers and which are playing lowly ratings - officers use language like 'those confounded Germans' while the lower classes all drop their aitches! But that's how things were done in those days, I suppose.

It's a great product - Simon Dobson's music is fine stuff, and the DVD includes a number of extras, including an interview with the composer, and a thick booklet packed with info. Recommended.
  5. trm

trm Member

Simon informs me he has recently finished a suite from the film for wind orchestra, coming in at some 16 mins. He expresses "hopes to be able to arrange this some time in the first part of this year", which I interpret as him wanting to release at least part of this for the brass band medium.