Silver / Welfare / Prize Band etc etc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SuperMosh, Apr 24, 2006.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

A lady asked me at a concert we played the other night, why were some bands (and still?) name themselves as silver bands? I couldn't answer her - anybody know???
  2. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

perhaps because they had won Silver / Silver Prizes ?
  3. Lisa

Lisa Member

'Silver' was added into band names from around 1870 to acknowledge the purchase of complete sets of instruments in electrosilver plating - which had just become available and was highly fashionable.
    'Prize' was added into band names around the same time to acknowledge the prizes being won by bands at contests. :)
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Hmm, the alternative I have for "silver" is that the band was so named because it was supported by 'silver' collections among the local populace. The silver in question being coin of the realm and not the family cutlery set.
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not sure about some of the above but as far as Killamarsh Silver Band goes the name was arrived at as follows:

Band formed 1887 - Killamarsh St Giles Church Band

after winning a "silver prize" at either Belle Vue or Crystal Palace in the 1920/30's (or both not sure which) name changed to

Killamarsh Silver Prize Band

band stopped contesting so it was thought best to drop the prize just retaining Killamarsh Silver Band.
  6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Thanks all - if the lady is there next year will suggest she logs onto TMP!!! Thanks :clap:
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

So where do Gillingham get the Imperial from? - was this Imperial instruments so should you now be Sovereign or even Metric?:)
  8. Lisa

Lisa Member

Hmmm...we have some old Imperial instruments still in the bandroom so yeah, I guess we used to all play on those!
    "Gillingham Sovereign Silver Band" has a nice ring to it actually! :) Maybe I should make a fuss about the inaccuracy of our current name and try to get it changed... ...although more accurately we should be called "Gillingham Sovereign - with a few yamaha horns - Silver Band"...but maybe that's too wordy...:-?
  9. Bungle

Bungle Member

more accurately you should be called "Gillingham (Dorset) Sovereign - with a few yamaha horns - Silver Band" as there is a band in Gillingham, Kent.