Silver Plating Polish...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brownrob, Mar 20, 2008.

1. brownrob

brownrob Member

Has anyone ever used it? Ive an annoying little patch of wear on the crook of my Besson International Sop (my backup sop!) Xeno ftw! :biggrin:

Anyway the area is approx the size of a thumbnail and the silver is totally gone on it, Im not that keen to take it to the local repair shop, who ripped me off on another non repair matter (just arent many repair shops near to me!) so Im loathe to give him any of my cash!

I see these guys sell this stuff, Im almost willing to take the risk and if it works well the rest of the guys would probably want to get theirs touched up for a fraction of the cost! The video they provide looks good, and anything is better than the blob of brass on my otherwise nice shiny International! :wink:
    The last product on the page

any help greatly appreciated!
  2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Polish won't help - take it to someone who can 'dolly' a little silver plate onto the area. It's not as hard as you might think...

3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

On a slightly different note:

Anyone got any suggestions for cleaning a cornet? Mine's silver plated, looks filthy and nothing seems to get it clean for more than two minutes!
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  4. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Having watched the short video clip, (provided for some of the products) It is not too expensive to give it a try is it. In the clip it shows a brass plate which received a coating of a silvery metal, it may only be a very thin covering though that may well wear off again, unless continued use thickens that coating up. The only worry is that it may have a slightly different colour than the original silver.
  5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I have tried the Silver Plating polish and it does work. You need to apply it over a period of time and keep building up the layers of silver.

The only thing I would say is that it is only a tempoary solution. And would probably be better getting it sorted properly but if you are just looking to cover up the patch for cosmetic reasons the it is ideal.

You can also use it to ust polish the instrument and it brings it up brilliantly

Hope this helps
  6. brownrob

brownrob Member

That sounds great! Thanks man
  7. brownrob

brownrob Member

I use one of those blue treated silver cleaning cloths. It removes all the muck and gives a brilliant shine to the instrument, and protects it from tarnishing. A friend of mine uses Silvo, but i find its very abrasive and will wear away the silver over time. I wouldnt use it at all on my Xeno :eek:
  8. brownrob

brownrob Member

OK.... Ive bought some of the stuff, when I get it Ill take lots of pics and see how it works!

Thanks for the help people :)
  9. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

On the subject of polish n shine does anyone know of a non abbrasive polishes which can be applied easily and quickly to keep off all those finger marks and to keep it looking brand new?:)
  10. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

After cleaning my cornet & flugel, I finish it off with spray furniture polish, the finger marks just wipe off with a duster.
  11. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I bet it smells nice, too :p
  12. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Furniture polish?
    Surely thats abrasive?:eek:
  13. Valvespring

Valvespring New Member

Virtually all spray furniture polish is silicone based
  14. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I take it thats a good thing?
    Not very good when it comes to the technical stuff:-?
  15. Valvespring

Valvespring New Member

Silicone will form a 'coating' that is a particularly slippery finish. Dust and finger marks just slide off when wiped off with a soft duster.

Personally, I prefer to wash instruments inside and out let them dry, then wipe off any watermarks. When it gets 'grubby' again I know it's time for another Bath. (easy with cornets horns - a little trickier with BBb!!!!!)
  16. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Are you saying you only have a bath when your instrument gets grubby? :p
  17. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Thats worrying:-?
  18. Valvespring

Valvespring New Member

I take great offence at your implication!!! I'll have you know I have a bath EVERY year _ Whether I need it or not!!! (but not if it's cold)

AEHOWGATE Member

Goddards long term silver pad. you sponge the paste on and shower it off. it's wonderful, especially for getting in and around the valve block & other difficult places. A must for basses!