Silver or Laquer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cornet.kid, Jul 6, 2004.

1. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

which is best (on a conet) silver or laquer? Most people with their own have silver - does this mean its better? or is it just because it lasts longer? Also what is the best model, Maestro or Sovereign (or any other)?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    model
    Silver
    Laquer
    conet
    people
  3. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

As an unbiased listener I'd say it's a tie between silver and the laquer ones with the copper-like bells (a bit like my trombone), both of nice, but unique sounds. Think that the normal laquer ones sound (or can sound) a bit too much like trumpets.

4. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

silver lasts longer as laquer can create black spots on the instrument around joins where the original metal has not been dried out properly when it was being made. I had to get my euph stipped and silver plated cause of it. but i think laquer instruments look prettier!

5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I guess it shows that you should always buy a quality instrument. For the trom it's no contest, laquer all the way (aimee - I know your bro plays a silver one and gets a great sound out of it, but I think he's the exception). Don't be afraid of going for laquer if you think it sounds better. Obviously the blend of your section has to be considered (nice to have all the cornets playing on the same type of instrument).

6. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

it was a besson sovreign too, was not very happy and now it's got a hole in it!!!!! :x i only got it cause it was a gold one and it looked good, but it sounds the same as the laquer one in my opinions!